Thinking about getting into the duck world

THERESAN

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
We were kicking around the idea of getting ducks instead of chickens, looking for at the egg laying pets and have heard much better things about duck eggs. Any tips for a beginner would be great, I've been doing lots of research and reading page after page. I live in Western PA and the winters can get down right cold, so any and all help on this would be great as well. This way we can make a well informed decision on the subject! Thanks to all in advanced!!

The general needs of ducks:

A warm, dry, safe place to sleep at night with bedding that doesn't contain cedar. This place should be predator proof.
(If not fully feathered yet, they'll need a heat lamp.)

Fresh water always has to be available when the ducks have access to food. The water should be deep enough for them to be able to dip their entire head in. This is the only way they can clear/clean out their nares (nostrils) and eyes.

Food-there are a few different "all flock" varieties, which is what many people here use. If under about 20 weeks, they also need Niacin.

Once they're fully feathered, their "down" keeps them warm. From what I've read they do fine in winter. I plan to add a lot of straw to their pine bedding in the winter and make sure their coop is draft free.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom