Thinking about putting my 3 wk. chicks outside in the coop

kathrync

Songster
10 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Hi! I'm new to raising chickens. I live in the central valley of California, and our daytime temps are headed into the mid-to-upper 80s. Would it be ok for me to put my 3 week old chicks into their coop? There are 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Americauna, and 1 Golden. I'm thinking I could put the heat lamp on them at night, since nighttime temps are in the 50s. They have a small coop and run, but it's fully secure with 1/2 inch hardware cloth all around, so they would be safe from predators. Or would it just be better to keep the inside for a couple more weeks? They're growing so fast, they are getting a little cramped in their brooder box!

Hello!
I think you have a few different options. First you could put them into the coop for short amount of time during the day but still mainly keeping them in the brooder for a bit longer. OR Go for it. I'd keep a heat lamp for night like you said but it's really your choice. I'm new to chickens as well but I've been spending a ton (probably unhealthy) amount of time on this site and the one thing I know for sure is that there is no RIGHT or absolute correct way to do something lol

I personally wouldn't feel ready to let them out all the time but that is my choice. Best of luck!

-Katie

Back
Top Bottom