thinking about quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SOchick, Jan 10, 2010.

1. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    I am thinking of trying quail this year and have a few questions.

1- Can I keep them in cages in the chicken coop, or would they need their own separate place? can chickens pass anything bad to them?

2- I have read somewhere that the texas a&m variety has some white meat. Is this true? (I prefer white meat) if so, they lay pretty good too?

3- is 1/2 to 1sg ft per bird sufficient space?

4- how many should I start with? I would like to keep some around for eggs, and the meat will be an added bonus.

5- how noisy are they? I've heard not as loud as hens, does this include the males too?

6- I am in GA, do I need a license? (I do not want bobwhite quail) If so- what type of license and do I have to renew yearly?

Thank you!!!

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    At the top of the quail forum is the quail sticky, will give you answers to 99% of your quail questions.

1. own pen
    2. yes, but good luck finding a pure white meat strain most have been crossed back in and are darker meat now
    3. yep
    4. 4 quail eggs = 1 hen egg, so how many egs do you want?
    5. quieter than a crow, males sound like songbirds
    6. good questions, prob. not for coturnix, but ask your dept of wildlife in case.

3. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks! I was reading through the sticky earlier, but wanted to make sure I was thinking the right things.

4. worldling

worldling Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Quote:In Georgia, you only need a license/permit to raise for sale bobwhites, eggs, meat, live birds. A protected game species.
    If you want to raise coturnix, button, vally, etc. The state considers them simple poultry.
    Releasing them is another story, and I haven't gone there yet.

#1. They should be keep in cages based on species, and YES!!! Chickens can pass bad things to them.
    #2. The (white meat) issue is a matter of great debate. Not going there. Any coturnix quail that I have ever raised adhere to standard coturnix laying patterns.
    #3 1/2 ft. to 1 ft. per bird is adequate for coturnix in most cases. The more...the better.
    #4. That depends. Your goals and needs will depend.
    #5 Coturnix on a noise scale between 1-10, a 4.5, in most cases. I don't know any (QUITE) birds that lay eggs sooner,grow faster, and just keep their beaks shut. [​IMG]
    #6 Please see my permit info. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by