Thinking about Turkeys

My BBW's certainly weren't getting up into any trees. I thought they would before I started running them through my orchard, but nope. They do a great job fertilizing though and eating up pests. r2elk might have a point about the manure load. 2 or 3 turkeys in a 10k sqft area for a couple months might not be a problem, but those birds plus 8 ducks might be alot of manure for your trees, just sayin... Burning your grass is one thing, but lemon trees are something to make sure you're getting the most out of.

I would move them personally, but 10k sqft isn't really a whole lot of space to work with. I read that as 90k sqft initially. I would probably split it into four pieces of 2500sqft each.
I over-spoke. The usable space of the orchard is 4000 sqft. I plan on 2-3 turkeys only

I over-spoke. The usable space of the orchard is 4000 sqft. I plan on 2-3 turkeys only

Ok. You can fit poultry in a pretty small area and I have places on my property where the chickens have completely defoliated and turned to dirt patches over the years from constant chicken scratching and pecking, but my orchard is sacred. I'm pretty picky about what animals come through my orchard and for how long they stay. If I understand correctly that your ducks are enclosed in the 4000sqft orchard area year-round, then I would hesitate putting any more birds in that same area, just for the fact that you want to cater to your fruit trees needs and over-nitrating your orchard is like one of the top ways to make fruit trees stop producing fruit. So, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if you value your fruit trees and their potential for fruit, I would tread lightly.

Back
Top Bottom