Thinking of a hobavator ?

ceadar post

Songster
10 Years
Feb 10, 2009
Seymour,WI.
New to incubators thinking of getting a hovabator 1588. My ? is should I get the turner with it right away.
hmm.png

I recently did quite a bit of investigation into incubators and decided on the HovaBator 1588 with the 1610 turner. If I had the time/patience/memory skills to turn the eggs myself, I would have saved some $$ and chose a lesser model without the turner, however, I want the experience to be fun and don't want "forgot to turn GUILT". Therefore, I chose the 1588. It has solid reviews, is the fave of many on this board. The cheapest that I found it was at Cutler's on the web.
Good luck.

I am on my first hatch in my 1588 with turner. Due on the 23rd. Candled last night, day 11 and each shell has a chick in it! Cutler was the best price when I ordered mine.
celebrate.gif

i have a 1602N hovabator. this is my 1st attempt at hatching, so anybody got any reviews on it???? no i don't have a turner, it will only have a few duck eggs in there, maybe some chickens when the ducks hatch. setting up right now!!!

I think the 1588 is the best styrofoam incubator you're going to get, and the price makes it especially appealing...I also got mine from Cutler Supply, and was happy with the customer service there. I did not get the auto turner, however because 1) I'm cheap and 2) the "turn 'em when you remember to turn 'em" method has always worked just fine for me.
hide.gif
I think turning eggs a zillion times a day is unecessary. A turn or two a day, which is about what I remember to do, yields just as good a hatch for me as remembering to turn them exactly 3 times a day or more. But that's a whole 'nother thread and certainly a very debatable subject!
lol.png

I bought my Hovabator 1588 with the turner last year and hatched several batches of eggs. It was so easy. I need some replacement parts for my turner and the store sent me the wrong thing, and I had eggs I needed to set, so I just set 39 eggs without the turner this morning, and I am already stressing over having to turn them by hand until my parts get here next week. The money spent on a turner is money well spent and it is totally worth it.

Hey: The 1602N is the same as the 1588 (same hardware) but w a different window setup and maybe a different foam shape. Mine is an older 1602 and the chicks can run out when I lift the top. Newer models Have a higher bottom so they can't run out.

I even have a REALLY old round foam bator that looks like it fought in a war but it works perfectly and i use it as a hatcher.

One thing I found is if I use the square bator to hatch, if I remove the autoturner my temp starts bouncing around (the turner motor makes heat) so I now leave the turner in and running and remove the turning trays.

The easy way to turn is to mark them w a pencil or pencil crayon (no inks) on both sides and flip back and forth 4 times per day. After 10 days the embryo is established so you don't have to turn it after that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom