Thinking of Adding 6 chickens to flock. Possible Problems?

crazymom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
We have 4 hens that we adopted 1.5 years ago.

Then we hatched eggs and have 2 Roosters- no hens- that are 5 months old.

I'm thinking of adding 4-6 hens about 6 weeks old. They'll be separated for a couple of months until they are old enough to get along together.

How long do I need to keep them separated disease-wise? Can they free range in the same areas? Will any diseases that they can pass amongst themselves be obvious before I merge the flocks?

Update-

I just got 7 chickens that are 10 weeks old from the feed store. The kids are having fun 'playing' with them.

I plan to house them separately for several weeks until they are big enough to integrate.

I will allow them to free range after a couple of weeks.

After a couple of months, I'll put them together in the coop. Does that sound right?

Congratulations on the additions.

Make sure that you quarantine the new ones for at least 30 days. Make sure that they are far away from each other, not even breathing the same airspace. That way if the new ones have some illness, its harder for your own flock to get it.

Make sure that you & kids change clothes & washup before going to play with your own flock. Biosecurity..

After 30 days, you can put them closer together, so they can see each other but not be able to touch. After a week or two, you could let them free range. Then put them into the same coop, maybe at nighttime, when they are about the same size as your own flock.

Sounds like you'll have fun, wish I could get more. Good luck!

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom