Thinking of getting ducks

Mar 27, 2018
Elizabethtown Pennsylvania
So I am thinking of getting some ducks to add with my chickens but not sure what breed to get. I have 4 kids so I don't what any that would be aggressive to them. I want to let them loose but I have foxes, hawks and eagles around me. so I don't think that would be a good idea to leave them loose.
Any Ideas of good breed to get?

When you say add with your chickens, do you mean in the existing coop and run?

My Swedish are pretty mellow. The drake watches out for his ladies, but he stands back and makes noise, he doesn't go on the attack.

Ok. First I'd say make sure you have enough square footage to add more birds in both the coop and the run as well as add a pool. Second, ducks are different, they don't particularly like ramps or do them well and need a bigger pop hole, so make sure they can get into the coop easily. They don't roost, so they need a place to sleep on the floor as well as a place to make nests at floor level (unless you are going with Muscovy). Anyways, coop modifications for ducks is a whole different discussion. I digress.

I just want to say, have a backup plan. What if your ducks and chickens don't like each other? What if they can never live together? Can you house them separately? This needs to be done for quarantine and introductions anyway. Also consider getting sexed females. Male ducks and female chickens do not generally mix well. Having a housing plan in place before bringing them home will help much. Ducks are fun. I highly recommend them. They are as easy to take care of as chickens. You will love them, your chickens just might not love them so much.

Consider if their primary purpose is eggs, meat, or just pets.

I am thinking either Rouen or Muscovy. I do have a big coop. I do have space that if I need to make a different coop for the ducks I can. I plan on doing research and have everything set up before I get any ducks
If you want them to raise I would suggest Muscovy. Because Rouens hardly go broody or Muscovys have a higher chance of going broody that Rouens do anyway.

Back
Top Bottom