Thinking of getting into quails any tips?

Oh k ladies and gents, they and thems. I have officially lost my mind🤪. I have just received my quail eggs from two different sellers on ebay fingers cross there are some fertile ones yes i let ebay sellers have more slack as i to have sold eggs on ebay and some buyers really have no clue what they are doing.

With that said one of my sellers eggs that are not strictly labelled as celadon still look blue to me so my question is can celadon still have dark speckles like normal quail eggs?

Anyway i have a grand total of 60 quail eggs (27 normal eggs and the other 33 are celadon) im hoping for at least half of each to be fertile and hatch so finger crossed 🤞.

Oh and here is a pic so if you can, do some of the "normal" eggs look more blue or is it just me? Yes i had flash it a cold dark day.. then again its the UK and i swear we have had one winter yes but what about a second winter.

Attachments

• 20220405_103908.jpg
    20220405_103908.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 7
It's likely that the normal eggs came from parents that may carry the celadon gene. Celadon is recessive, so you need the gene from both parents to get celadon layers. Sometimes it shows up as a slightly blue cast to normal eggs.
Thank you. Im going to have my work cut out for me in trying to get a true blue line. As i dont see many ppl over here in the UK selling them.
But i do like some of the "normal" blue cast eggs they are quite pretty.

Ok i just want to share this picture. I just got my serama hatching eggs today and wanted to compare quail eggs to serama eggs so i compared the biggest egg from both bird species.

Attachments

• 20220406_114636.jpg
    20220406_114636.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 4
So we have lost a few more of the golden quail. I have no clue why I know they have plenty of feed and water along with clean fresh bedding etc. It sucked to check on them every few hrs and find one has passed and then find another has gone a few hrs later.

I am debating whether or not I actually breed from this lot as I know that death rate can be high for quail the following days/couple of weeks but I mean I went from like 1 dying cuz it left the heat in my first lot of hatched quail.

To two dying near/under the heat 1 died over in a corner 1 having to be culled those are just off the top of my head without looking at my notes for this hatch. I mean in general they look fine but i don't know it just bugs some of them are just dropping in this lot vs the other.

Oh on a positive note it looks like a large portion of my celadon hatching eggs are fertile, and it looks like at least 2 serama eggs are fertile as well. I have heard serama's can be a bit more finicky when it come to incubation but I'm wondering if some of the serama eggs might have been a few days older then thought as 3 have badly detached rolling air cells and they have more of a spotty appearance when a light is shone through them.

Just read via facebook that moonridge farm has had avian flu hit them and they had to cull everything. It breaks my heart to see good sellers get hit with this nasty bird flu. So everyone stay vigilant and keep doing everything you can to keep your birds safe.

Well the celadon chicks are what a week give or take a few days now. The celadon hatched chicks are smaller then the non celadon hatched chicks and i dont know if thats normal.

But i do have 2 serama chicks they have been living with the quail chicks since the quail chicks were 4 days old. So here are some pictures.

I have another lock down going on with some partridge brahmas, lavender Araucanas, wheaten marans and cream leg bars. I then have maybe another 1 serama going to lock down in a few days hopefully that will hatch and then if im lucky more seramas and possibly some frizzle brahmas.

Attachments

• 20220426_210823.jpg
    20220426_210823.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220426_210842.jpg
    20220426_210842.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220426_210909.jpg
    20220426_210909.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220426_210926.jpg
    20220426_210926.jpg