Thinking of getting into quails any tips?

Coturnix quail do not require any more protein than chickens. they have been domesticated as long as chickens and have evolved to do well on the same diet.
This is not entirely true. Quail chicks need much higher protein. Adults can get away with protein levels in the 18-20% range, but chicks need 28-30% if you want them to grow well and stay healthy.

I went with jumbo Coturnix. One light bulb on a timer keeps em popping all winter. While they give me a few smaller eggs here and there, almost the size of standards, it’s generally about 3 to equal a lg chicken egg. A dozen hens with 3 cocks in each of two 6x2’ cages has me swimming in eggs.
08D4CCF3-03F5-426A-A4F8-2DB7ED4CD12E.jpeg

I went with jumbo Coturnix. One light bulb on a timer keeps em popping all winter. While they give me a few smaller eggs here and there, almost the size of standards, it’s generally about 3 to equal a lg chicken egg. A dozen hens with 3 cocks in each of two 6x2’ cages has me swimming in eggs.View attachment 2998859
Your set up looks nice. I was thinking of getting Italian quail and some golden gaint quail (thats what they call them here). I aint to bothered about winter eggs but is there a "special" blub i need?

Promise hubby lots of goodies! Deviled quail eggs are lovely! Tiger skin eggs, custard pie etc etc etc nothing wrong with a little bribery!
Well we never had quail eggs (i had the meat years ago and thought it tasty enough). I honestly was trying to get the hubby to do rabbits but think he will go for quail a bit more. Tiger skin eggs??

I've had quail for a few years now. Cots and I've had Bob whites. They hatch early (the cots) and are pretty easy to grow out. But some are mean as hell so you must be prepared to cull heavy in the beginning ( and this is not to give away quail) They are easy to process and make decent birds if you want them for pets. They can't free range and do ok on hardwire. I like mine on the ground but the pens are hard to keep clean.
I'd buy alot of eggs at once and hatch out. Then plan to cull as necessary. I don't like to buy anyone's adults (ducks I will) as it opens the door to disease. Plan to incubate what you raise they don't set well and the eggs are too small even for a bantam to set on. Although I've seen others do it, it's risky.
Good luck. They are a great bird to raise.

This is not entirely true. Quail chicks need much higher protein. Adults can get away with protein levels in the 18-20% range, but chicks need 28-30% if you want them to grow well and stay healthy.
I agree. I've raised out birds on what I had which was not game bird feed. The adults starting pulling feathers. Once I added Mealworms, the plucking stopped.

I've had quail for a few years now. Cots and I've had Bob whites. They hatch early (the cots) and are pretty easy to grow out. But some are mean as hell so you must be prepared to cull heavy in the beginning ( and this is not to give away quail) They are easy to process and make decent birds if you want them for pets. They can't free range and do ok on hardwire. I like mine on the ground but the pens are hard to keep clean.
I'd buy alot of eggs at once and hatch out. Then plan to cull as necessary. I don't like to buy anyone's adults (ducks I will) as it opens the door to disease. Plan to incubate what you raise they don't set well and the eggs are too small even for a bantam to set on. Although I've seen others do it, it's risky.
Good luck. They are a great bird to raise.
Thank you. I dont plan to get loads to hatch out first time only 24-36. I heard some can be mean an do plan on culling if they are jerks more meat for the freezer. Any health issues that is commen if any?

Back
Top Bottom