Thinking of getting more chickens

Is there a profit in raising pullets? Which breeds would sell best?

• Total voters
Hi Chicken Lovers!
I have six chickens and two ducks. I will be moving to an acre and a half after living many years in a small suburban lot. Time to think about getting more chickens!My newest chickens are two Dr Whiting True Blue Egg Layers. Expensive, true blue egg? not. Nice enough personalities but not to bright even for a chicken. It is good that they copy and follow my heritage breeds otherwise I don't think they would survive even in my small suburban fenced in backyard.
I have had only heritage breed before the Dr Whiting True Blue. I have had Buff Orpington, good bird but low on the egg production.Rhode Island Red, nasty so and so. White Plymouth Rock , good bird. Gold lace winged Wyandotte, pretty, little bit aggressive with my ducks. Delaware, big bird medium size egg.

So I was thinking of when I move in the spring of growing and selling pullets. Not sure if there is a profit margin in that idea. But if I have more land I must get more chickens.
Where I live to be honest almost everyone just raises their birds from chicks. Maybe it's different in your area, idk.

AHA, IT'S GEESE that lay golden eggs (if they feel like it). Well actually just one particuliar goose. Poor thing got slaughtered because owner wanted all the gold eggs at once. Didn't he know geese don't pop out all their eggs at once? What a shame!!

Neither do Chickens.
There's my trouble...been waiting for that golden egg for four years .

Valerie we are sorta in the same boat. You waiting for that golden egg, and Me waiting for my prince to come. The odds are much better for you than me.
:lau

That cheered me up! I was thinking, I already outlived my son... But, DH and I are determined to stay here until they sweep our ashes off the deck. No rest home, thank you...we'll rest right here. :plbb

Valarie I DO understand what you are saying. I am available 24/7 except when I am napping all day. But would still catch up and be there for you.

For 9 mos. talked to what I believed was a daughter to be. I thought we'd have great times and go shopping together, and talk about boys. I didn't know anything about sports , turned out I didn't need to know. My son only cared about computers. He says I am too dumb to understand and YET I am still here. Thank heaven.

Back
Top Bottom