Thinking of Getting Started!

To your new questions:
1. I can't be of much help with this question. Perhaps someone else can help.
2.If the garden is contained, and the chickens cannot reach it, your garden will be safe. However, if the messy little beasts get to eat, there will be no remains....
tongue.png
But there isa good side to that. Chicken poop is pretty much mushroom compost, which is a mildly expensive fertilizer for your garden, so your chickies could help your garden!
3. They will be fine for your son. However, some chickens MAY carry salmonella, so it is a good idea to wash your hands after touching them.
4. Tell your landlord to pay us BYC'ers a little visit. We'll talk some sense into him! The chickens might harm the grass. They probably will.
5. YES! chickens love being let loose, it is their dream come true!

-jenny

Thanks a lot for the link to the ordinances for Kansas City.

Ok...so can you guys help me translate this?
smile.png
Basically, I'm wondering...this means 1)they are allowed 2) but, they have to be kept 100 feet from the nearest neighboring house? And 3) Can I let them out the pen to roam around free?

a) " Location of pens; enclosure required. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain any chicken coop, dove cote, rabbit hutch or other pen, cage or enclosure for the housing of fowl or small animals, except dogs and cats, closer than 100 feet to the nearest portion of any building occupied by or in any way used by human beings, other than the dwelling occupied by the owner or keeper of the animals or fowl, or closer than 25 feet to the property line of the lot on which such fowl or animals are kept for sale within a bona fide produce market, commission house or store for purposes of trade and while so kept are confined in small coops, boxes or cages, or where such animals or fowl are kept for purposes of research in a laboratory. Animals and fowl so kept or maintained shall be enclosed on all sides and shall not be allowed to run or fly at large, except for homing pigeons."

Thanks again everyone!

My garden will just be in pots on the patio. Hmmm...so I'd have to keep them away from it somehow?

The grass dies every fall when it gets cold, anyway, I guess what he would want to know, will they do any permanent damage?

LC,

We have 15 chickens that roam a fenced acre. They haven't hurt the grass one bit-- in fact, they've actually helped it! They eat grubs and other pests, and the poop has done a wonderful job of fertilizing.

They roam our side yard, which is also where we happen to do most of our outdoor living-- it's where our pool is, our patio and grill, our hammocks and volleyball net, so we'd definitely notice if they were tearing it up in any way. They're absolutely no problem at all, except for having to periodically sweep the poop off the patio and pool deck.

I do emphatically echo a prior poster, however, about any garden plantings you want to keep-- you must fence them out, otherwise they'll be toast!

The question is how big do you mean when you say you have a big backyard? To me big is half an acre or more. Chickens will destroy your garden unless you keep them penned up away from it. Any fencing you use they can fly over (unless you have a heavy breed 7lbs or more with six foot fencing) anything smaller will fly over. Yes, some breeds are quiter than others, in this case stay away from Rhode Island Reds. Now Buff Orpingtons are known to be fairly quite and Wyandottes too.

I would suggest reading for a bit in the breed section here before thinking about buying. That way you get a good low down on the breeds and their temperments. Read way back in the posts not just the new ones or do a search on a breed here on the forum. I do that all the time makes short work of going thru posts. Search button is at the top in blue bar besides rules button. Read as much as you can before jumping it will do you a world of good in the short and long run. There are many shortcuts here on coops and maintance of chickens, some good some not so good.

BTW organic feed cost alot more than regular chicken feed. If you go that route check the prices to see if you really want too. Free ranging is really not an option unless you have acreage. Reason is chickens would not be able to sustain themselves in a small area as they would go thru the food to fast to be replenished. So you would be feeding in conjuction with letting them out. One other thing never be afraid to ask a question. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Hey, welcome! Chicken raising is a fun hobby! As others have mentioned, one of the big upfront costs can be for the coop. I found a cool website www.catawbacoops.com that has a plan for a small backyard mobile chicken coop. The plan is $20 and the cost of materials is about $150 - $200. If you have some basic tools, the most important being a miter saw, you can make this yourself. I made my first coop like this out of mostly recycled materials so it cost a lot less. It takes a while to find the right pieces and you may have to get creative, but if you want to cut those costs down, that's the way to go. Check construction sites for leftover building materials.

Quote:
Hi! We are in about the same spot as you as far as getting the chickens... it is exciting (we only want 4 though, haha)! Mother Earth News is a great magazine, I just bought my first copy a month ago when I saw the article about the chickens!

Back
Top Bottom