Thinking of Guineas but have Questions

Sundial

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 2, 2013
Missouri
My dad and I have been tossing the idea of getting some lavender guineas for tick control around for a while and I did a little homework, but I'd still like some questions answered.

1. My main worry is predators. We are bordering a heavily forested strip of land and we have had sightings of raccoons, foxes, coyotes, large owls, and roaming dogs all over the neighborhood. We can't easily fence in the yard to keep most of those predators out, but we still want them to be free-roaming.
  2. We have 7 acres with a pond and it's mostly hill. Is that enough for even the most wander-prone guineas?
  3. What is the safest budget coop you've built, and what were its dimensions? I definitely plan on coop training because of the amount of predators we have and I'd like it to be sturdy. We will need a nighttime coop big enough for at least 15 guineas to start (hatchery minimum), with some room for expansion for any additional keets that will likely hatch.
  4. Is a lighter-colored breed a good idea? I read on here that lighter colors might be more easily picked off by predators.

I think that's all the questions I have for the moment. We don't know if it'll be a project for this summer, but I wanted to know if it was doable or not before we got really invested in it.

My dad and I have been tossing the idea of getting some lavender guineas for tick control around for a while and I did a little homework, but I'd still like some questions answered.

1. My main worry is predators. We are bordering a heavily forested strip of land and we have had sightings of raccoons, foxes, coyotes, large owls, and roaming dogs all over the neighborhood. We can't easily fence in the yard to keep most of those predators out, but we still want them to be free-roaming. Honestly you may loose some do to preditors but guineas are not like chickens in my experience they are pretty active alert birds. If loosing a couple over long period of time is a issue you could use electric net fencing for them and have a mobile coop. But you would also have to clip there wings at first to train them to stay in the fence at first for there own protection.
  2. We have 7 acres with a pond and it's mostly hill. Is that enough for even the most wander-prone guineas? more then enough room for them
  3. What is the safest budget coop you've built, and what were its dimensions? I definitely plan on coop training because of the amount of predators we have and I'd like it to be sturdy. We will need a nighttime coop big enough for at least 15 guineas to start (hatchery minimum), with some room for expansion for any additional keets that will likely hatch. I really don't have any dimensions for you but if you are thinking about a protable coop on the cheap and durable. You may want to consider a hoop coop for them. I plan to make some for my turkey's wonce the hatch out and as long as they work as good as others claim I will make few more for my meaty's and maybe a layer flock. I currently have A frame houses and few bigger coops and runs. But like the idea of moving it around to give them new grass and areas to clean up behind our cattle.
  4. Is a lighter-colored breed a good idea? I read on here that lighter colors might be more easily picked off by predators. Yes lighter colored breeds are a big bullseye. I would go with another darker color with the white spots think they are the orignal color escpecially if they would have no real fence boundry.

I think that's all the questions I have for the moment. We don't know if it'll be a project for this summer, but I wanted to know if it was doable or not before we got really invested in it.
I no longer have them because when we did we were to close to neighbors and it was a issue. Plus we didn't have a seperate place for them in the winter and they faught with the chicken in the coop. chickens and guineas in my experience dont live good together if they are kept confined or atleast mine did not. Some do disagree just my experience. Hope soem othe the info help. If you do a search for hoop houses you will see some pictures but basicall made out of either cattle panels or hog panels.

Thanks, I'll definitely consider all that and pass it along to my dad when I can. Does anyone else want to chime in?

Back
Top Bottom