Thinking of having a rooster, can you give pros and cons?

Maybe it's because I'm not crazy about chickens. I like my hens and I have 1 that is definitely a pet, but I can't see the worth of a rooster for someone who is keeping chickens simply to have some fresh eggs and lawn ornaments. Here are the pro's for getting a rooster that either I have seen or have been given to me with my thoughts & observations about them.

fertilized eggs - only important if you want fertilized eggs. the Cons of which I have already elucidated (gross factor for some). Also, if you aren't going to incubate them, what's the point?

makes nest for hens - none of my rooster have ever done that as far as I've seen, but prior to getting one, my hens seemed perfectly capable of making a nest on their own. They can and do still make nests on their own. So I can't see any added benefit.

gets food for hens - I've seen this mating behavior and it's cute to watch, but he does it when he wants to & the hens don't always respond. I've often seen a hen just ignore what he's got in favor of her own foraging, even if he's a foot from her. Again, I don't see any added benefit except if I have some time to stand around and watch.

"herds" hens - so he either spends the day chasing the hens or herding them. Like I said, still no added benefit as they get themselves in the coop. Though I haven't had a chicken refuse to get into the coup, there is definitely a behavior in my flock of hens not wanting to be near him or his 2-3 favorite hens.

protection - again, from what could this 10lb bundle of feathers protect the hens? Really? Come on people, the most a rooster could do is offer himself as a sacrifice while the hens run away. (sorry for the tone, I can't help it. This "benefit" is turning into a pet peeve of mine). Admirable though that is, it isn't exactly "protecting". My idea of protecting is the 125lb Great Pyrenees I keep out there with them. She'll stop almost anything after the birds and have a good time doing it.

Crowing - if you like crowing, you'll like a rooster. I don't mind crowing, per se. I mind the ceaseless crowing all day, especially when I'm sitting on my porch enjoying the weather trying to have a conversation. For someone new, I think it's a good idea to point out that they do crow all day long and mine does before dawn & after dusk, and sometimes at night when he hears something. I have 80+ acres of dirt. Most people don't want to have to get in their 4 wheeler to drive 1 mile to get to their coop, so for the OP, you are probably going to hear the rooster crow. Like I said before, if you get one, that crow can be mighty creepy in the dark. The end of a crow is usually the loudest, so that "doooooohhhhhh" sound carries far and sounds like a wild animal or someone in agony. Cool around Halloween, not always cool by oneself.

Esthetically pleasing - sure they have nicer looking feathers, but is it really worth all the hassle? It would be cheaper and easier just to buy the feathers.

Here are some cons that usually aren't mentioned:

bald headed hens - if you are new and have never seen a rooster mount a chicken, it goes something like this: a hen is quietly pecking away at some grass or bug or whatever, when out of the blue comes this big fat rooster at a full run. The hen looks up in surprise, then tries to run away. A chase ensues, usually ending in the rooster smashing into the hen. At some point, she learns this is going to happen and she learns that just before he clobbers her she should just surrender and brace herself by squatting in the desired position. In any case, he grabs the feathers of her head and tries to stand on top of her. Once he's on top and she's smooshed underneath, he just keeps pulling until he pulls her head way up and he finishes his business. A hen will get assaulted like this multiple times a day and after a few days, they have a bald head. The only chickens I have without a bald head right now is my pet chicken & her pet chicken, which I keep away from the others. Also, I've never seen a hen that seemed to enjoy this. They ALL try to run away. I know they are just dumb hens, but they are my dumb hens.

They eat a lot - Most roosters are bigger than the hens, so they eat more. This may seem trivial, but it is something to consider before getting one. With hens, at least your financial output in feed is compensated a bit by the production of eggs. You get something from them. You get nothing of substance from the rooster. This may not seem like a big deal until the middle of winter when there is nothing for the birds to eat but what you give them. They need to shovel down a substantial bit of food to keep their weight up and to give them energy to burn to stay warm, even in a barn (unless you're also heating the place). And bear in mind, when you put feed out, the rooster isn't some sweet guy waiting politely for the hens to eat. He's in there pecking as fast as he can as much as he can.

They poop like hens, only because they are bigger there is more volume. Again, think middle of winter picking up poo.

They can go "crazy" and attack you - I've never been attack by any of my roosters. The most I've had was a rooster that didn't like a certain pair of shoes I would wear, so he would peck at them when I walked into the coop, but only for a few seconds. I've seen scratches on arms attributed to a rooster attack, and I've been assured that a large rooster with it's big spurs can hurt you. I've been told that some go "ill" (around here a term not meaning diseased, just not acting normal) and they'll sneak up behind you, then fly up and try to scratch your neck or whatever. I'm sure it can't kill you, unless it also happens to have some weird flesh-eating bacteria on it's spurs when it scratches you, but some people are intimidated by the larger birds and it's something to think about. Even a "nice" rooster can decide to attack you on occasion.

Flock disruption - Since you'll be introducing a rooster into the flock, a new pecking order will have to be established. This may go well and it may not. In my flock, the head hen has been beaten up and demoted almost to the bottom. There are 2 hens that definitely like the rooster (they were very young when I got him), and another that I think doesn't care for him, but she was a companion to one who does, so she's iffy. The other hens can't stand him and there is a constant disruption in their lives. As I said, they vacate the area too far for him to care about them. When they do come back, he's assaulting them and trying to get them to be in his flock. I don't know if raising them together would help or not. I don't find this rooster to be particularly mean. He's just a bruiser and the hens seem to like life better without him.

My rooster is a very good looking bird to me, I'm just not convinced that his looks outweigh all the hassle. But bear in mind, I'm not a chicken lover. Unless it's breaded and smothered in pasta sauce & cheese or stuffed with baked apples & brie. Good luck with your decision.

I am a newbie, but I have roos. Out of the seven birds that I have, I ended up with four roos. I had six but I lost one Sussex and one Java. I have only 3 hens. One of my barred rock roos is just plain nasty to me only. I raised them, and took care of all their needs, and then one day when I was outside, he just started coming at me for no reason. He has spurred me several times , gashing my arm and my leg open to the point I had to seek medical attention. He follows my husband around the yard like a puppy. He knows his name and he just shadows my hubby everywhere even while using power tools. I don't hate the bird, but it makes me wonder what brought this behavior on. The only way that I can walk around my yard is to carry a large plastic shield around with me to protect myself, and even then he managed one day to lunge up high enough to spur me in the stomach. I am not one to put him in the pot, but I have contacted all the bird santuaries in my area and they are just full up with roosters. Roosters are beautiful, but I only wanted one nice roo. Plus I have to keep them all separated from each other because of fighting. As always there are pros and cons to having a roo. I like them, I love the sound of their crowing, it does not bother me, and I do think they offer some protection but I haven't seen any of my roos display any kind of nurturing behavior toward the hens. They are rough on the hens though, one of my hens is practically bald from the over armerous roo with them. If I had it to do over, I would not have any roos.

Matthew,

I think all you said is possible, some of it probable...but there is also a huge variation in rooster temperament from breed to breed and also within each breed. From what I read here, hatchery roos are more likely to exhibit the poor behavior you list. They come from lines that have been bred solely for the hens' laying ability and not much else. Therefore, appropriate rooster behavior is not selected for. For instance, the mating dance that cues a hen to crouch for the roo often does not occur in a hatchery roo. I got a roo with my batch of "all pullet" chicks from a hatchery, and he is just now, at two and a half, sort of doing a mating dance. Even this little bit has cut down on the feather loss on my hens. My roo does about half the time call the hens when I bring special treats to the coop. I have seen him back off from a chunk of watermelon to let the hens have it, and it's not because he doesn't like it! He is missing a lot of the behavior he should have, but I don't believe it's his fault; it's been bred out of him.

A free ranging flock with a greedy "rapist" roo will not last long in the wild, so under natural situations, the "good" roos will survive, the others will not, nor will their flocks. I think it is quite possible to get a roo with proper roo behavior toward his hens, but you might be better to go to a private breeder whose chicks have a good roo for a father.

As to your point about a roo protecting his flock...yes you're right, that's exactly what a roo does - tries to hold off the danger while the hens get to safety. Remember, again, in a wild situation, the hens are carrying fertile eggs for a week or so after the roo dies...so his genes will live on, and also a natural flock will have some young cockerels in it most of the time, so there will be a replacement for the roo in short order - one of his sons. That's how chickens survive in a natural setting.

I think you are not necessarily wrong, and also not necessarily right. ONe thing I've noticed on BYC (like any other discussion group!) is that at times people have to just agree to disagree. I think it's good to put forth the negatives about any topic as well as the positives. Nobody can make an informed decision without information! In the end, each person has to evaluate their own situation and weigh all the pluses and minuses and make their own choice.

Then when the topic comes up again, there's another person with experience who can weigh in on it - and that's why we're all here. To take advantage of other people's experience. So keep it up, everyone!

Quote:
Please tell me if I am wrong on this. I would welcome advice.

Matthew

Of a grand total of 17 chickens, I at one point had 5 roosters.

I now have 2.

The two I now have do the mating dance, and the hens will either walk away or squat. If they walk, the roos just give up and go about business, if they squat then it's mating time. It's actually pretty calm and quiet, both walk away without missing or even really ruffled feathers - and this happens with my GIGANTIC RIR on even some of my smaller hens, like my Polish hen. The two roos I have often have a hen or three that hangs with them, sharing a dust bath, sunning together, roosting together. They are pretty content.

The 3 that are no longer (2 are en route to the freezer, resting in the fridge right now, one is long been dinner) were "rapists" - the run and attack for a rodeo ride that did not look pleasant, and caused a lot of feather loss. They would often pick on one particular hen, and just tear her back and head up. They were obnoxious, rude, and one even took to charging us. The rest of the chickens were constantly running from them, there was always a bit of an air of panic in the coop and run.

A good roo is fun to have around. A bad roo tastes good.

Quote:
I like this comment! I have a teen roo and I sure hope he is like the 2 you have left.That nice mating dance compared to what the others did sounds so much better. I get upset just seeing them all peck at each other.Hostile mating will be to much for me to tolerate.

My roo:

38921_021.jpg

38921_066.jpg

I think having a roo is a non-judgemental situational decision and the pros and cons differ for each flock and each chicken owner. Being informed before making the decision helps but one never knows until one tries...so I would say go for it and try! In our case we discussed that we would be willing to eat our roos if we got them because it is super hard to re-home roos here and I did not want a life to be wasted if it did not work (i.e. culling the boys and not using the meat) . Again, my opinion in our situation.
We processed 5 youngsters yesterday and included our head roo on the freezer camp bus. Despite constant training (as previously mentioned a really necessity for keeping roos if you are interacting with the flock), he lunged at me once and had been giving stinkeye to the kids when they were in the run (and DH or I are always present when kids are around the roos). Zero tolerance for attacking people here as we often have children visiting.

Our roo was a beauty...we loved how he brought the flock in at night and watched to make sure everyone, even the young boys, were in. He would mumble when a plane flew overhead to warn the others. I think part of his strength was the downfall as he was challenging us for that role of head roo. Do I miss him...not a bit...I went out to the coop this morning and our head hen led the way...stood at the ramp until everyone was out and then went herself.
It is quiet ...peaceful, and, if I decide not to keep a roo from our latest hatch, will cost me a few bucks (taken from the feed budget) when I want fertilized eggs to hatch.
Next weekend we will have a family dinner and enjoy and respectfully appreciate the healthy, nutritious and delicious meal our boys have given us.

This is just how it works for me in my situation but I am very happy to be roosterless ....for now....
wink.png

Pros:
1. They're just so darn cute!
2. They can provide chicks.
3. Some people like the crowing.

Cons:
1. Some of them cause feather issues with the hens.
2. Some can be agressive.
3. Some people hate the crowing.

big_smile.png
I personally ADORE my rooster.
love.gif

Quote:
Please tell me if I am wrong on this. I would welcome advice.

Matthew

Thank you for your opinion hensonly! I was not trying to be judgmental and I think that what you said is correct. But, I think that roosters shouldn't be put down that badly. Only a little
tongue.png
So yes, you are right. But I am right also along with all of the others on this thread. Of course, it is for the OP to decide.. I was just throwing out my opinion. Again, Thank you
smile.png
And for the OP, tell us what you decide!

Back
Top Bottom