Thinking of moving, but WHERE???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of votes on the Carolinas! I've heard it looks similar to long island there. A bit too south though. I'd hate to have to fly to visit family, but if the right situation came along I'd entertain it.
Any thoughts on Maryland or Delaware???

Maryland is very expensive and populated heavily-in some areas. A lot of Maryland people have been moving to southern PA (where I am from originally) because it is cheaper and more rural-but not rural anymore, thanks to all the relocators! That's why we moved out here!

Quote:
That's what is happening to this part of NC. I was born and raised here, and I still love it here, which is why I'm not encouraging people to move here.
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You could move to Southern IL, and have 50 acres, and a huge home for $250,000. I could never understand how people could live in cities like you.

We hated our taxes. So we bought a modular home and moved onto some land. We pay like $300 in taxes a year for our 12 acres and home.

Quote:
Not fair!!!! Mine too!!!! No barn, just a coop
hide.gif

lol. We also have a pool. links to pictures and info available upon request lol.

To the OP, good luck - I know its a big/stressful decision, but when you find what your looking for - it will be worth it.

Found something in Delaware that could be good. Don't know anything about it there though. Anyone?
In the meantime we're planning a road trip.........
big_smile.png

I live just north of the Delaware border. Property taxes are not bad and there is no sales tax. Currently they offer huge kick backs for people who install solar.

Downside: the school systems generally stinks, anyone who can afford it at all moves or puts their kids in private or parochial. They're working on it, but they've been saying that for years.

Other big downside: cancer capital of the country. It has been a chemical capital for over a hundred years. There are some really cool museums though, if you're there try to get to Hagley I love it there and it sounds like you and hubby would find it interesting. Currently, they took two major employment hits, both auto plants and the only refinery closed. While some view that as a victory, it is a small state and those three alone (before you count ancillary businesses) is almost 5000 jobs lost.

Right over the border in PA the taxes shoot way up, but then so do the school scores and SATs......

Chester County PA has some great farmland, but it is getting real gentrified and expensive..... Potential for lots of clients for your DH though.

I hope you find your dream place soon. Just a note of encouragement (or fear): I moved from St. Louis to SE MO near the AR line about twenty years ago. I loved the outdoors but shared your attitude toward "hicks." I found the people to be just as varied as the neighbors I left behind. I now heat with wood, hang my laundry outside, wear my boots to the store and vote Republican most of the time. We'll grow on you. lol

That wooden bowl is beautiful! What kind of wood is it?DH could also make cutting boards,spoons...

There is a market for beautiful hand crafted -usable every day items.

And yes ,California does have high taxes-but life is so good here.Just the weather makes you 'live' outside 365!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom