Thinking of Pursing a Coop and adding on to it

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dionna77, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Dionna77

Dionna77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    I have decided to buy a coop and build on to it as the needed. Does any one know where a good place to buy a chicken coop online. I see a lot of online sites but I am new to rising chickens so I am not sure what online sites are good or not. If any one has bought a chicken coop online before and knows of any good places please let me know.

Also I know that I will need to make sure it is safe from other animals getting into it. If you have any ideas how I can do this that would be great.

It gets really could in Minnesota during the winter what are some ways I can make my coop ready for winter. I know it is spring and I don't have to worry about winter until next you but I just wanted to have kind of an idea now so that I can be ready for winter when it does come.

Thanks
    Dionna[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello, Dionna!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family.
    I built my own coop. So I can't help you there. But as to the wire, hardware cloth is better then chicken wire. Predators can pull them through it. I've heard about it. Not pretty! Good luck with your future girls.[​IMG]

3. Dionna77

Dionna77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    NickyKnack,
    Thanks so much for the welcome I feel right at home here at the BYC everyone has been so nice to me and has been so helpful especial since I am new to the owning chicks.

Thanks,
    Dionna

4. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

:D

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't have any personal experience with the pre-built coops. In the five years I've been on BYC I have read a lot of complaints about them - mainly look good but, made of cheap materials, that don't hold up to weather or predators.. Also the coops cannot realistically hold the number of chickens they say it can.

Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird inside the coop - excluding roosts and nest boxes. The outdoor run should allow 10 sq.feet per bird. Chickens are not at all nice about being crowded. They fight, feather pluck and in severe cases resort to cannibalism.

There are many coop designs and plans on BYC, Is it possible someone would make one for you? Sometimes on Craig's list people give away the coop, chickens and even food.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

Drumstick Diva has given you some good advice!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. motherhen1954

motherhen1954 Just Hatched