Thinking of reducing my feed costs with fodder!

jphendrix

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Waycross, Georgia
Someone told me about fodder today and I have started doing research. What do you guys think about fodder. I would love to be able to save half or more on my feed!

It costs very little to jump in and make your own fodder.

Do a google search for "fodder for chickens". You will find tons of information.

I got an ebook from amazon.com that helped me a lot. It has all the information I needed all in one little package that I can take to the barn with me. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Easy-DIY-Fodder-System-ebook/dp/B00HT59G0E

Hope this helps. I don't think you will regret growing fodder. We have six chickens and our temps have been hovering at zero sonce the first of January. We are still getting six beautiful eggs a day. Fodder has helped our horses too.

It costs very little to jump in and make your own fodder.

Do a google search for "fodder for chickens". You will find tons of information.

I got an ebook from amazon.com that helped me a lot. It has all the information I needed all in one little package that I can take to the barn with me. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Easy-DIY-Fodder-System-ebook/dp/B00HT59G0E

Hope this helps. I don't think you will regret growing fodder. We have six chickens and our temps have been hovering at zero sonce the first of January. We are still getting six beautiful eggs a day. Fodder has helped our horses too.
Thank you very much! I have been all over youtube and other sites trying to research this. I don't think I will regret it! I have 35 adult chickens in the big coop, 7 chicks abt 2 mo old in the little pen and 8 1 weeks old chicks in the brooder, also 24 eggs in the incubator due to hatch next week. Our feed cost is high and if I can do this the way I'd like I can dramatically cut my costs.

Here are some photos of my new set up. I bought a greenhouse with selves at Big Lots for only $100. Bought a bag of oats at the feed store because they didn't have barley or wheat but said they could get some. So I will be getting that when it comes in. What do ya'll think?

This is just the beginning and I hope to grow enough to feed my chickens and my parents rabbits.

Last edited:
I live in Tampa Bay area; there are plenty of local feed barns however, none carry barley. I located an online seed distributor who happens to be based in Tampa- but they ship anywhere. They sell Atlantic barley seed by the pound or in my case, 50 lb sack for less than 26 bucks. Seed World USA

I was able to talk to my local feed store and they said they could order some barley for me. Not sure when it'll be in. Our first batch We used scratch grain and corn, they are already starting to sprout, and we started them soaking night before last!

I live in Tampa Bay area; there are plenty of local feed barns however, none carry barley. I located an online seed distributor who happens to be based in Tampa- but they ship anywhere. They sell Atlantic barley seed by the pound or in my case, 50 lb sack for less than 26 bucks. Seed World USA

Shipping has got to be a killer on this though. Thoughts?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom