Thinking of starting over...

ssramage

Songster
Mar 8, 2013
St. Simons Island, GA
After a year of having chickens, and then taking a while off, I'm thinking of jumping back in again. We went too big, too fast initially and it became more of a production than I was prepared for. So we sold the coops and the chickens, but now with the current state of the world we're thinking it would be a good idea again.

With that said, I live in a very hot climate, coastal southeast GA. Even in the winter, it's pretty warm. Only predators really are raccoons and hawks/owls.

I'm thinking of going with something like this and using tin/wood that I already have to "close in" a couple sides and the top. A little hardware cloth around the bottom and I think it'll work. Thoughts?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-universal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
Could work well in your climate.
Might need more than "a little hardware cloth".
Would add a roof with large overhangs for shade and rain.

drinkoj

Songster
Premium Feather Member
May 24, 2020
Upstate South Carolina
They use these in most TSC stores to house the chicks in and you'll definitely need a lot of hardware cloth as those gaps in the fencing are large.
After reading a lot of the Q&A about this product, I finally found a company response to the spacing of the hardware cloth of this poultry pen:
There are three hardware cloth spacing: 1.96in*2.1in, 1.96in*3.44in, 1.96in*6.36in.

Not sure where the 1.96in x 6.36in spacing is but it's the company's response.

drinkoj

Songster
Premium Feather Member
May 24, 2020
Upstate South Carolina
It's not really Hardware Cloth.
Mesh spacing numbers are odd tho.
The company response teams words, not mine. :)

It looks like fencing to me but it is pretty darn secure fencing as I've rested my body weight on it to look at the little chicks at TCS.

deidreg

Songster
Jul 6, 2020
Connecticut
They use these in most TSC stores to house the chicks in and you'll definitely need a lot of hardware cloth as those gaps in the fencing are large.
After reading a lot of the Q&A about this product, I finally found a company response to the spacing of the hardware cloth of this poultry pen:
There are three hardware cloth spacing: 1.96in*2.1in, 1.96in*3.44in, 1.96in*6.36in.

Not sure where the 1.96in x 6.36in spacing is but it's the company's response.
Guessing these are conversions from metric measurements, though when I convert them, the cm #s are also weird.

Top Bottom