Thinking of starting over...

ssramage

Songster
10 Years
Mar 8, 2013
St. Simons Island, GA
After a year of having chickens, and then taking a while off, I'm thinking of jumping back in again. We went too big, too fast initially and it became more of a production than I was prepared for. So we sold the coops and the chickens, but now with the current state of the world we're thinking it would be a good idea again.

With that said, I live in a very hot climate, coastal southeast GA. Even in the winter, it's pretty warm. Only predators really are raccoons and hawks/owls.

I'm thinking of going with something like this and using tin/wood that I already have to "close in" a couple sides and the top. A little hardware cloth around the bottom and I think it'll work. Thoughts?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-universal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808

Could work well in your climate.
Might need more than "a little hardware cloth".
Would add a roof with large overhangs for shade and rain.

They use these in most TSC stores to house the chicks in and you'll definitely need a lot of hardware cloth as those gaps in the fencing are large.
After reading a lot of the Q&A about this product, I finally found a company response to the spacing of the hardware cloth of this poultry pen:
There are three hardware cloth spacing: 1.96in*2.1in, 1.96in*3.44in, 1.96in*6.36in.

Not sure where the 1.96in x 6.36in spacing is but it's the company's response.

They use these in most TSC stores to house the chicks in and you'll definitely need a lot of hardware cloth as those gaps in the fencing are large.
After reading a lot of the Q&A about this product, I finally found a company response to the spacing of the hardware cloth of this poultry pen:
There are three hardware cloth spacing: 1.96in*2.1in, 1.96in*3.44in, 1.96in*6.36in.

Not sure where the 1.96in x 6.36in spacing is but it's the company's response.
Guessing these are conversions from metric measurements, though when I convert them, the cm #s are also weird.

Back
Top Bottom