Thinking of turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Thebernards, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Thebernards

Thebernards Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    I am considering a couple turkeys for next year for the meat. I know nothing about turkeys besides they taste good. [​IMG] Are turkeys mean? We have very young children (1 to 9 years old) including a special needs child and lots of chickens who free range all day. Does raising a few save money around thanksgiving? Are they loud? We can't keep roosters where we live because of noise ordinances. What about space? We have about 1/2 an acre and I want to ensure we have enough room. Any info you could tell me I would appreciate it!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    If you want to raise turkeys to save on the cost of buying a processed turkey, forget about it. Stores sell processed turkeys at a loss in order to get people to come in and buy the more profitable items that get served with it. It is not possible to raise a turkey to market age for less than you can buy a processed turkey in the grocery store.

Read the Turkeys 101 thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-turkeys-what-do-i-need-to-know#post_11309891

3. Thebernards

Thebernards Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    Well what if I wanted to raise them regardless of cost? That was only one question of many I had and wasn't my only decision maker....

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by