Thinking of using swingset frame as basis for new bantam coop....

bkreugar

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Asheboro NC
Thinking of using swing set frame as basis for new bantam coop. So like an A frame coop. Kids are now 8 and 13 so it doesn't see much use anymore. This would be our second coop and ONLY for bantam sizes.

SO I'm thinking I want HArdware cloth on bottom on ground so nothing can dig IN. I am thinking run down below at widest part, Top part being coop with roost pole and nest box(s). Run would be made from same hardware cloth (we already have a good amount anyway). I am Indecided on coop floor. I'd something easier to clean than our original coop. So more hardware cloth comes to mind, so everthing falls to ground. BUT I think nope they will kick out nest bedding and some of the poop will not fall to ground. SO How can I make it easier to clean?

Next thing i've learned is there can be NO small openings. My oringinal coop had an overhang . So the small space between roof and support, RATS got in and killed 1/2 growns that would not roost. They did not bother my full grown roosting chickens.

I have thought on this over the summer and that is what ~I~ have come up with from what i've learned in the last 4 years of keeping chickens. What helpful info could you add TIA.

Id DOES have a slide, but it is a wavy plastic slide so I don't see how I could reuse it. Sorry. Yes I too am a huge fan of the reuse stuff.

My current coop is a reconfiguration of the old owners goat house. IT was falling apart so we tore it apart and reused most of it.

Sounds like a great idea! You see the little "A" frame coops advertised often. Yours would just be bigger! I would think that you might not want to use hardware wire on the coop floor. It might be a little rough on thier feet walking around. Could you maybe get a scrap piece of linolium somewhere? I wouldn't think you would need much. The slide idea for under the roosting pole sounds like a great idea too! Can't wait to see pics.

Back
Top Bottom