Thinking this a Roo... ??

Sherol

Songster
Apr 7, 2015
San Antonio Tx
My first eggs hatched May 1 so we are now at 12 weeks and some are crowing. Most I have figured out but not this one. Has bigger comb than pullets but smaller than the others I know are roos. This is out of a Cuckoo Maran hen and a red EE rooster. I had some here on the forum tell me the red shoulders in the EE are a sign of being a roo. Am I correct in thinking this will end up a rooster?

My first eggs hatched May 1 so we are now at 12 weeks and some are crowing. Most I have figured out but not this one. Has bigger comb than pullets but smaller than the others I know are roos. This is out of a Cuckoo Maran hen and a red EE rooster. I had some here on the forum tell me the red shoulders in the EE are a sign of being a roo. Am I correct in thinking this will end up a rooster?

Yes, that's a cockerel, but you are incorrect on the parentage. A cuckoo Marans hen will produce black sexlinks. That boy is not cuckoo/barred, and he has yellow skin.

Yes, that's a cockerel, but you are incorrect on the parentage. A cuckoo Marans hen will produce black sexlinks. That boy is not cuckoo/barred, and he has yellow skin.

The jumbo egg I got was always pretty dark compared to my others so assumed one of the Marans. Other choices are Barred Rock [would assume no for same reasons you gave] Red Star, Black Star and Buff Orpington. Any idea with Black Australorp and mostly red EE roosters who the hen may be producing the eggs? I have chicks a black roo, black pullet, barred/cuckoo roo I assumed were from the Australorp roo over this hen and two hens red and white similar to this guy from the eggs I assumed were the EE over this hen.

Back
Top Bottom