Thinking this is bumblefoot? Pics

The scab should not form like before while you are medicating and wrapping. You just have to keep doing so until the hole completely closes so that it will not become infected again.

News isn't looking good today. I'm really kind of worried. We've cleaned his wound today. It isn't scabbed over, however one foot doesn't look very good. I didn't take any photos. The foot has an odor so I am thinking the infection is still alive. He has a red streak going up the lower part of the leg and I'm thinking the infection has spread. I resoaked and cleaned his wounds, reapplied the Vetericyn and neosporin and rewrapped them. I am wondering now if I need to get him some antibiotics as well as trying to get the infection again with surgery. Or just the cleaning with antibiotics?? Ugh he is my favorite roo and I hope I am not going to lose him to this...

Sometimes they will have red streaks up the leg--does the other leg have any? I would start him on penicillin just in case. Then I would open the bad foot up again. Soak it in weak betadine and wash it off before cutting. Sometimes you have to really squeeze in different directions to get a core or pus out. If you can't find it, I would quit, and redress it with neopsporin. Here is a link on the penicillin (read last paragraph of post # 2): https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/352701/how-do-i-administer-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken and this:

https://sites.google.com/a/poultryp...oultry-podiatry#chickens_penicillin_injection

Last edited:
This is for sure bumblefoot. If you go to www.the-chicken-chick.com and look in her "chicken resources directory", you'll find an entry dated 7/26/11 that deals with bumble foot and actually shows you the way to treat it if you can't take it to a vet. She has step by step pics as well as a video of her performing the surgery on one of her hens. I plan on doing it for one of my hens this weekend. It makes me break out in a cold sweat to think about it, but doing nothing is not an option. Hope this helps.

No, the other leg does not have a red streak. I am heading to the store to get some penicillin and needles and syringes. Thank you for the links with the info on the penicillin, great help. I was debating calling the vet and asking about a prescription for him but I'm sure this will be much cheaper... He has told me in the past to give him a call to discuss the problem with any birds I have instead of bringing them in. But of course I notice things bad when they are closed.. Thanks again! Keeping my fingers crossed

Got the penicillin for him and gave him a dose per the instructions on the link.. Next question - I understand he should be treated for 4 - 6 days, but how many times a day? Just once? Twice? Thanks in advance..

Procaine penicillin is only given once a day since it is long-acting. I had just done a few bumblefoot surgeries last month, and this case makes me nervous. Let us know how he does.

Got the penicillin for him and gave him a dose per the instructions on the link.. Next question - I understand he should be treated for 4 - 6 days, but how many times a day? Just once? Twice? Thanks in advance..

Yes, give Penicillin once a day. I've used Penicillin before, and I've always treated them once a day. Treat for five to seven days (at least that's what I've heard, and what I've done before).

Back
Top Bottom