~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

I only added water when I first set the eggs & it was dry after the first week. I opened all the ones that didn't hatch, there was no internal pip on 4 (does that mean they were most likely breech?) one pipped at the wrong end and never progressed, looked like it bled too. I didn't open the incubator until this morning, I saw the first pip on Friday, I'm kicking myself now for not checking on them sooner, I know they were going strong on Thursday & Friday, we could see them rocking.
The little ancona is really cute! We used to have harlequin Great Danes and it reminds me of them. It is definitely our 4 yr old's favorite, he asked to hold it tonight & sang it to sleep in less then 5 min, I have a feeling it might get spoiled.
smile.png

[/URL]
omg that is the cutest thing i have heard in a while
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

I know those annies were mine so will tell you what I have found when hatching them. Incubate with humidity as low as possible & hatch with hummmmmidity high enough to just barely fog the edge of the window. They have really thick shells & I have trouble getting them to lose enough water. They end up too fat & breech or very sticky & can't get out once they pip.

I only added water when I first set the eggs & it was dry after the first week. I opened all the ones that didn't hatch, there was no internal pip on 4 (does that mean they were most likely breech?) one pipped at the wrong end and never progressed, looked like it bled too. I didn't open the incubator until this morning, I saw the first pip on Friday, I'm kicking myself now for not checking on them sooner, I know they were going strong on Thursday & Friday, we could see them rocking.
The little ancona is really cute! We used to have harlequin Great Danes and it reminds me of them. It is definitely our 4 yr old's favorite, he asked to hold it tonight & sang it to sleep in less then 5 min, I have a feeling it might get spoiled. :)
[/IMG]

My guess would be the thick shells arenn't allowing enough water loss. I quit giving them extra calcium & am letting them almost exclusively free range. They were penned & on fermented feed & extra oyster shell. Most of my eggs have had small air cells & a lot of breech babies. I went to running them completely dry to see if it helps. Yinepu just hatched several of mine & runs completely dry...in Texas!

I hatched 10 of 14 duck eggs that went into lockdown. They hatched on day 26. The eggs were Rouen and Mallard cross. That is a 71% hatch rate on the first try. :) Thank God that is over. However, I have 5 more that are due in four more days.

I should take lessons from you!!

Thanks for the compliment. However, I am still learning. I have 5 more that just went into lockdown. Due Thursday.

Arielle my turkeys hatched. Remember I am in Califormia. 8 out of the 9 hatched. 1 was infertile, 1 decide to escape for the brinsea. Which not good idea at my house. Dog got it must have scared it to death because no marks on it.
Funny hatch tho. I dry hatched, didn"t add any water. Humidy ran between 30 and 35 degrees. Candled at 12 days, The 1 egg was infetile, and one was iffy. Left it in the bator it hatch. Te got unplugged for a hour or so. too. The turkeys should have hatch today 5 did. The other 3 hatch Saturday. I was off to Karens BYC chicken party when I heard a strange peep from my grooming room. I had forgot the turkey egg , turner still turning and all# hatched turkeys in there. So they did the work not me

Arielle my turkeys hatched. Remember I am in Califormia. 8 out of the 9 hatched. 1 was infertile, 1 decide to escape for the brinsea. Which not good idea at my house. Dog got it must have scared it to death because no marks on it.
Funny hatch tho. I dry hatched, didn"t add any water. Humidy ran between 30 and 35 degrees. Candled at 12 days, The 1 egg was infetile, and one was iffy. Left it in the bator it hatch. Te got unplugged for a hour or so. too. The turkeys should have hatch today 5 did. The other 3 hatch Saturday. I was off to Karens BYC chicken party when I heard a strange peep from my grooming room. I had forgot the turkey egg , turner still turning and all# hatched turkeys in there. So they did the work not me

woot awesome

celebrate.gif

Well, now you do need to post pics!!

Back
Top Bottom