~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

Quote:
we pinion ours at 2 days after hatch.. all you need when they are that young is a good sharp pair of scissors... it's just a quick snip
Guess I next need to do a little reading on where to snip and care of the wound post " quick snip" .

you snip just beyond what would be their "thumb" on the wing (it's actually the metacarpus that is removed).. and only one wing is pinioned.. I always snip the right wing
no after care if you pinion them around day 2 since the bone hasn't really formed yet by then and there isn't much blood at all going to the tip.. the longer you wait the more bleeding you will encounter because there will be more growth to the wing tip... on day 2 it's barely a drop if that... also.. pick up the duckling (or turkey or whatever).. make the snip and drop them back into the brooder... the longer you hold them the more blood loss you will get on older birds because their heart will race a bit more being held.. I have snipped them as late as three weeks of age.. but you will encounter a lot more bleeding at that stage and might need to pinch the wound or use a bit of blood stop powder

Let me recap to make sure I understand the location to cut---

At the yellow line in the diagram, I see the cut as thru the DIgit II and metacarpusIII-- cut is made to the side of the radial joint NOT thru the joint.

Does this apply to all fowl??
Looking back at pic-- the digit II stays-- that looks like it needds a skilled surgeon to miss the "digit" . I need Dr. Yinepu to make a house call.

Looking back at pic-- the digit II stays-- that looks like it needds a skilled surgeon to miss the "digit" . I need Dr. Yinepu to make a house call.

lol.. I don't need to make house calls.. YOU CAN DO IT!... plus when you pinion a muscovy it counts towards the federal regulations for marking muscovy as domestic (should they ever decide to enforce them)

Just wanted to share this because my big butt RIR moving at "warp speed", almost plowing into my legs after these things was HILARIOUS!!!

So I had a bit of a bug problem when I moved some logs out of the new coop area to build the runs..... so I set a chicken loose on them... she found more than worms, grubs, and bugs.... SHE ATE 3 SALAMANDERS!!!!

I also need to keep an eye on her crop to make sure it empties right because it was stuffed when I finally was able to pull her out of the salamander nest.
But on the upside, she got AMAZING protein intake today!

Just wanted to share this because my big butt RIR moving at "warp speed", almost plowing into my legs after these things was HILARIOUS!!!

So I had a bit of a bug problem when I moved some logs out of the new coop area to build the runs..... so I set a chicken loose on them... she found more than worms, grubs, and bugs.... SHE ATE 3 SALAMANDERS!!!!

I also need to keep an eye on her crop to make sure it empties right because it was stuffed when I finally was able to pull her out of the salamander nest.
My silly chickens won't even eat grapes. :/ question though, how do you make sure the crop empties? And what do you do if it doesn't? I have an EE who I swear is a goldfish and she just eats and eats. Her crop is always a lot more full than the others. I'm giving them chick grit in their chick feed, but should I do more? Thanks!!

My silly chickens won't even eat grapes.
hmm.png
question though, how do you make sure the crop empties? And what do you do if it doesn't? I have an EE who I swear is a goldfish and she just eats and eats. Her crop is always a lot more full than the others. I'm giving them chick grit in their chick feed, but should I do more? Thanks!!

well right now its huge and visable just looking at her....

if it doesnt empty you treat them for impacted crop.

diagnosis and treatments>
Diagnosis
If you examine the chicken, the crop will feel very full, as if it is full of dough. The best time to do this is first thing in the morning (before the chicken has had a chance to eat any food) as the crop should empty overnight.

Treatment in mild cases
It is important to treat an impacted crop quickly otherwise the bird will starve. In mild cases, the contents of the crop can be softened before emptying. Whilst this sounds difficult, it is in fact quite straight forward and usually does the trick in mild cases of impacted crop.​
Holding the bird firmly pour a couple of teaspoons of olive oil down its throat and then massage the crop for about 5 minutes, to soften the contents. This is probably best done by two people. Then turn your chicken upside down with its head away from you and massage the contents out through the beak for a short while. Do this for only about 10 seconds at a time and then turn it back the right way so that it can breathe properly. If you are at all concerned about doing this you should take the bird to a poultry vet.
Treatment in serious Cases
In more serious cases, when the crop cannot be emptied easily, you will need to take your chicken to the vet. A vet will usually have to open the crop up to empty the contents and then stitch the bird back up.

not sure if its any different for babies

well right now its huge and visable just looking at her.... if it doesnt empty you treat them for impacted crop. diagnosis and treatments> Diagnosis If you examine the chicken, the crop will feel very full, as if it is full of dough. The best time to do this is first thing in the morning (before the chicken has had a chance to eat any food) as the crop should empty overnight.
Treatment in mild cases
It is important to treat an impacted crop quickly otherwise the bird will starve. In mild cases, the contents of the crop can be softened before emptying. Whilst this sounds difficult, it is in fact quite straight forward and usually does the trick in mild cases of impacted crop.​
Holding the bird firmly pour a couple of teaspoons of olive oil down its throat and then massage the crop for about 5 minutes, to soften the contents. This is probably best done by two people. Then turn your chicken upside down with its head away from you and massage the contents out through the beak for a short while. Do this for only about 10 seconds at a time and then turn it back the right way so that it can breathe properly. If you are at all concerned about doing this you should take the bird to a poultry vet. Treatment in serious Cases In more serious cases, when the crop cannot be emptied easily, you will need to take your chicken to the vet. A vet will usually have to open the crop up to empty the contents and then stitch the bird back up. not sure if its any different for babies
thanks!!! I'll check her in the morning and dump some olive oil in her if need be! :)

Last edited:
thanks!!! I'll check her in the morning and dump some olive oil in her if need be!
smile.png
i've never had one impacted but I did tons of reseach into chickens and health when i got them. I check them thouroughly once a week for any crop issues, foot issues especially bumblefoot and anything abnormal in general. I literally pick up every one of them, pet them, pat them down, feel around important parts and if any feathers are missing i check for mites and lice.

Quote: YEs, my buckyeyes are a heritage line breed and selected for good growth as a meat bird. I trust the breeder and will follow his recommendations. He picked up some of his birds from 'someone" and finished raising them. He said the difference in size was noteable--kept only a couple of those birds. The difference between 20-22 % and 27%+. ( My birds go back to Urch and ALBC line via Don Schrider. )

OH, maybe I am remembering one of your posts from the other thread!! How do you manage shipped eggs????
Shipped eggs go on their sides along with everyone else. I only turn once or twice per day (for all eggs) & turn by hand, so they usually do fine unless the air cell is totally destroyed, in which case, it likely wouldn't have hatched anyway.
i'm so nervious about this hatch i missed a turning by over 4 hours yesterday when my grandma's mower wouldn't start and to boot the temp was 106f in the bator when i did get around to turn to them. I think this hatch is done for i'll still turn the egg's but i'm going to go buy some chicks. i should have just payed the stuipd shipping and got the live chicks in the mail. this hatch is starting to give me grey hairs
I miss turning sometimes when I am too tired at the end of a long day. I just tip the incubator for a miinute to let the eggs know they were moved!!

Quote: Definitely the length of time is the key-- one batch hit 110, must have been for a very short time as all was well.

Quote:
that always bugs the crap out of me.. it's fine to let their little monsters run rampant.. but heaven forbid you let your dogs do the same...

I'll stick with animals.. at least I can trust them to act like animals... which .. most of the time.. is better behaved than most people!
thumbsup.gif

SOOOOOO TRUE!!!

Quote: Manners is manners!!!

I had a preschool teacher tell me how well behaved my boy was---- I couldnt figure out why she felt the need to tell me that . . . . . years later I worked as a substitute aid . . . . kids with no manners!! Yikes.

I don't spank, no need. Figured if I can teach my rotties good manners and to obey commands, then I can teach my kids without spanking too. I really do have good kids. When they liew-- I know it!!! ANd I call them on it--- dont lie ot me: if you get in trouble at school I won't be able to help you. Then watch his eyes get a little bigger . . . .
I have always had people tell me how polite my kids are. I rarely have to swat a hiney. It's just the fact that they know I WILL if the occasion calls for it that makes it so I don't have to. I can count on 1 hand the number of times each of them has had a whoopin in the past 2 years. 1-2 swats is all it ever takes. Then they're good for MONTHS, until they forget Mom means business...LOL

Quote: My scovies stayed in 4 foot fencing & never even tried to hop out. None of my birds hop out except an occasional turkey hen, & then you see her wandering back & forth trying to figure out how to get back in. I just go open the gate & walk her right back in. My anconas & buff geese wander the yard during the day but all we have to do is walk toward them anytime after 6pm & they run for their pen ready to go to bed. Pretty sure all of my birds can hop my fences if they really want to (except maybe the silkies), but the know where the food is & tend to stay put or try to get right back in if they do get out.

Scovies can & will roost if they are in the mood. But they are also fine with sitting on the floor as well. As for pools/ponds, my scovies were the least likely of the 15+ different breeds of ducks I have had to bother to go swimming. Some of them I literally had to throw into the pools to get the mud off of them at times because they just aren't into bathing like other ducks are. They are happy as long as they can dunk their heads.

You should have seen the 2 foot garter snake 1 of my hens scarfed up last year...still alive! You should have seen her bulging crop squirm. I just walked away shaking my head. She was completely fine the next day.

Quote:
That's possible with only 8 birds, but not 200+

I have always had people tell me how polite my kids are. I rarely have to swat a hiney. It's just the fact that they know I WILL if the occasion calls for it that makes it so I don't have to. I can count on 1 hand the number of times each of them has had a whoopin in the past 2 years. 1-2 swats is all it ever takes. Then they're good for MONTHS, until they forget Mom means business...LOL

My scovies stayed in 4 foot fencing & never even tried to hop out. None of my birds hop out except an occasional turkey hen, & then you see her wandering back & forth trying to figure out how to get back in. I just go open the gate & walk her right back in. My anconas & buff geese wander the yard during the day but all we have to do is walk toward them anytime after 6pm & they run for their pen ready to go to bed. Pretty sure all of my birds can hop my fences if they really want to (except maybe the silkies), but the know where the food is & tend to stay put or try to get right back in if they do get out.

Scovies can & will roost if they are in the mood. But they are also fine with sitting on the floor as well. As for pools/ponds, my scovies were the least likely of the 15+ different breeds of ducks I have had to bother to go swimming. Some of them I literally had to throw into the pools to get the mud off of them at times because they just aren't into bathing like other ducks are. They are happy as long as they can dunk their heads.

You should have seen the 2 foot garter snake 1 of my hens scarfed up last year...still alive! You should have seen her bulging crop squirm. I just walked away shaking my head. She was completely fine the next day.

That's possible with only 8 birds, but not 200+

Yeah true. I will have about 50-100 but ill probably do one pen a week then. I dont think i can do that many in a day lol. I literally only have 8 right now. Not including the chicks in the brooder but with them running around my room it is pretty easy to check them as i put them back in

Back
Top Bottom