~*Third Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatch-Athon*~ all poultry welcome!

So I am absolutely horrified! I occasionally sell chicks chickens and eggs from my home. Well I always let all my customers know that I am NPIP and I practice a strict biosecurity and ask them to wait at the bottom of the driveway and I will bring them what they are picking up. Well today I was selling a chicken and the guy gets here and pulls out a huge cage of his flock of chickens and just puts them in my driveway.

WHAT!? First of all who packs up their chickens to go pick up a new chicken at someones house. And second WHO PACKS UP THEIR CHICKENS AND BRINGS THEM TO SOMEONES HOUSE!!!

I thought he was just taking the cage out to put the new chicken in but NO he takes them out and then sits out the back of his station wagon while his chickens are pooping all over my driveway and wants to make bizarre small talk I finally told him that his cage of chickens on my property was making me really nervous and to put them away.

I am beyond mad. Sorry if this sounds silly. I just needed to vent
whoa i didn't know people even did that
ep.gif
do you think he was trying to dump them on you? i had a lady years ago that rang my door bell Early in the am before i was even awake and made small talk before asking if i got her mail the day before i left into the back room to check our mail for her and when i got back to the door their was a box with 12 goslings in it and no lady or her car. luckily my grandma knew a bird sanctuary so i wouldn't have to be stuck with birds i didn't know anything about. But still it wasn't cool
rant.gif

Like stallions, and bulls I image, the boys need thoughtful handling and to teach them their place in the heirarchy. Recently someone-- BEkissed? -- posted a great thread on training roosters. Much like a dog, a human needs to talk rooster talk and become the dominant rooster. It is about cunning, not hitting. I learned on the dogs how to act like the top dog-- if rooties see a chance to move up they will try. Very trying dogs. lol I espect roosters are the same. I push my roosters out of the way, if they come at me, then the push is rough, and then make him run from me. Had a bugger start at me today-- not a bad boy so his behavior surprized me.

I do have an attack SS, or at times he does, NONE of his sons hae attacked. SO you might have good luck too.
lol's my grams had some attack roosters they where famous for attacking cats squrrels and unknown people (mainly the mailman
gig.gif
) the only one that ever tryed to get me got turned into dinner but i'm glad some people like your self take the time to try and train their roosters

So I am absolutely horrified! I occasionally sell chicks chickens and eggs from my home. Well I always let all my customers know that I am NPIP and I practice a strict biosecurity and ask them to wait at the bottom of the driveway and I will bring them what they are picking up. Well today I was selling a chicken and the guy gets here and pulls out a huge cage of his flock of chickens and just puts them in my driveway.

WHAT!? First of all who packs up their chickens to go pick up a new chicken at someones house. And second WHO PACKS UP THEIR CHICKENS AND BRINGS THEM TO SOMEONES HOUSE!!!

I thought he was just taking the cage out to put the new chicken in but NO he takes them out and then sits out the back of his station wagon while his chickens are pooping all over my driveway and wants to make bizarre small talk I finally told him that his cage of chickens on my property was making me really nervous and to put them away.

Doesn't sound silly to me! We sell directly from the farm, so lots of people come to the house area - but anybody going beyond the 'residential envelope' at least has to wear shoe covers; biosecurity increases with every gate and areas with doors are flat out off-limits. We have the occasional dog-in-the-car, and once a potbellied pig, which we attempted to deal with tactfully when they wanted to let 'em out to do their business... but nobody bringing in poultry or cattle
fl.gif
. I'd say you were WAY more than polite!

First off, I apologize for not participating more in the conversations, each year I have the intention to be more active on the thread but our littles and the farm end up requiring my attention more then I intend.
Secondly, we currently have ducks hatching, this is our first year with ducks and the first hatch didn't go so well, put 10 viable eggs in lockdown and only. 2 hatched. We currently have 18 good eggs (12 welsh harlequin and 6 ancona), today is day 28, at least 7 more pips & 3 are out, they started pipping yesterday. We normally hatch turkeys and the pip to zip to out seems much faster. How long is too long for ducks? The 3 that came out have done so in the last 2 hrs, we are hatching in a hovabator with a fan (model 2362N), any advice is greatly appreciated :)

First off, I apologize for not participating more in the conversations, each year I have the intention to be more active on the thread but our littles and the farm end up requiring my attention more then I intend.
Secondly, we currently have ducks hatching, this is our first year with ducks and the first hatch didn't go so well, put 10 viable eggs in lockdown and only. 2 hatched. We currently have 18 good eggs (12 welsh harlequin and 6 ancona), today is day 28, at least 7 more pips & 3 are out, they started pipping yesterday. We normally hatch turkeys and the pip to zip to out seems much faster. How long is too long for ducks? The 3 that came out have done so in the last 2 hrs, we are hatching in a hovabator with a fan (model 2362N), any advice is greatly appreciated
smile.png

Ducks can take days between pip and zip. They are very frustrating. It is best to sit on your hands and let them do their thing. If you do not and help them, you can have a, literally, bloody mess.

Not sill at all. I would be sputtering too. MOstly I meet folks at the grocery store, or DUnkin DOnuts. I've had good luck with folks at the end of the driveway-- but then my drive is 1500 feet from my stock. IF we go to shows, we drop clothes and shower. Though nothing is fool proof with wild birds, and hay coming in with chicken feathers . . . .

THe state makes periodic, annual, visits and I finally asked that they boot up before entering the farm. THey flatly refused!! I shutter at all the farms their vehicles and boots have tread in the days or hours before my farm.

Quote: I had one bad boy-- started at 3 weeeks old. By 2 years old and after much pleading from my kids to keep him, I fianlly said "enough". It was sad and we missed him for all of about 2 weeks. Still on the lookout for the attack rooster, then finally we could relax, and didn't need to cary sticks anymore. Fun thing though-- I have 3 sons from him-- they are all peachy keen boys and still let us pick them up and pet them.

Secondly, we currently have ducks hatching, this is our first year with ducks and the first hatch didn't go so well, put 10 viable eggs in lockdown and only. 2 hatched. We currently have 18 good eggs (12 welsh harlequin and 6 ancona), today is day 28, at least 7 more pips & 3 are out, they started pipping yesterday. We normally hatch turkeys and the pip to zip to out seems much faster. How long is too long for ducks? The 3 that came out have done so in the last 2 hrs, we are hatching in a hovabator with a fan (model 2362N), any advice is greatly appreciated
smile.png
I'm lousy at hatching ducks-- I have 9 eggs in the incubator long past due to prove it!! I gave 40 eggs to the 3 broodies and hope they do a better job than I do ( theyusually do!!) lol

Search out posts by Yinepu on the subject. SHe is rather busy right now and not on BYC-- but perhaps some of her old posts will be helpful.

I have been super busy recently and not able to participate but wanted to give an update. I set 5 mixed poult eggs at the end of last month and candled this last week. I have 4 developing, 1 looks bigger than the others for done reason, and they are due to hatch the last week of this month. I had to put the incubator under a table to keep the temp regulated but it seems to be doing really well now. I think I'll have at least the 1 poult hatch!

I have been super busy recently and not able to participate but wanted to give an update. I set 5 mixed poult eggs at the end of last month and candled this last week. I have 4 developing, 1 looks bigger than the others for done reason, and they are due to hatch the last week of this month. I had to put the incubator under a table to keep the temp regulated but it seems to be doing really well now. I think I'll have at least the 1 poult hatch!
fl.gif
Good luck!!

I hatched 10 of 14 duck eggs that went into lockdown. They hatched on day 26. The eggs were Rouen and Mallard cross. That is a 71% hatch rate on the first try. :) Thank God that is over. However, I have 5 more that are due in four more days.

Have concluded that my "WTH are they, they aren't silkies"  birds from TSC appear to be a silkie/polish cross.  Le sigh.  Should have known better!

I have been deliberately experimenting with this cross & think they are adorable. If you breed them together you should have the silkie feathers reappear in 25% of the next generation. Breed the silkied ones together again & you should get silkies with huge "afros."

Back
Top Bottom