This batch appears to be a dud...questions for the next time

GaNewChick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
McDonough, Ga.
Ok...I have issues with temp and humidity. Two temp gauges that came with the Little Giant ~ both are in there. One reads 110, the other reads 98 and a third one, a temp/humidity bought by Walmart a couple of years ago with the temp reader inserted where the turning cord went ~ reads 100/34%. I can't seem to get the humidity past 34 to 35%. ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Since I'm positive this batch isn't going to make it, (since I can't get anything accurate or consistent) I'm troubleshooting to try and get everything right for the next time.

I'm not sure the temp/humidity is correct so I'm going to Walmart to buy a new one this weekend. Any recommendations of what kind?

I have a hen that has laid one egg a day and now has 9...in the next day or two (assuming I get the incubator/temp/humidity all sorted out. Are the eggs outside ok until I bring them in this weekend?

Should I leave her one or two?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm at day 21 ~ not giving up yet, but feel pretty sure things have not been consistent to bring them to hatching. I will give it another 3 days.

If your Walmart thermo is an AcuRite with the probe, the entire unit must be in the bator to read humidity since the probe does not. The unit is reading your room humidity, not the bator's humidity, if you have the unit outside the bator with the probe inside.

Ahhhhh....makes sense. Do they have a dummy smiley here?
lol.png

If your Walmart thermo is an AcuRite with the probe, the entire unit must be in the bator to read humidity since the probe does not.

It only took me 3 weeks to figure that one out.
smileyvault-dunce.gif

I candled day 18 which if I'm understanding was not a good day for that. I didn't see any movement, but did see some with a mass. Some looked like it was stuck to the shell (dud) some didn't look like that, saw a couple with veins. And all showed a clear air pocket at the big end.

Back
Top Bottom