This can’t be an umbilical cord 🫤

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
I just hatched this chick a little over an hour ago. I noticed her toes were curled in so I went to get things for her little sandals, but when I pulled her out of the incubator I noticed her cord was wrapped around her foot, preventing her from extending her leg. I snipped the skinniest part I could find, and once her leg extended, I saw a bunch of what looked like poop from her. When I wiped it away, I saw what looks like something coming out of her insides. Can anyone tell me what this might be? I can only assume while she was hatching and kicking, I had to have been pulling on something. Thanks!
5819CD54-094C-409B-985A-431FF268BC4E.jpeg
EFF9079C-468D-4795-9FAF-09E50EBC7DBB.jpeg
E4C8804E-174E-474B-A627-D14E41464931.jpeg

Shoot...this is not good so prepare yourself.
Can you put something down that's smooth and flat so that that 'stuff' doesn't get caught on anything?

The less you mess with it the better chance it has to absorb it back in.

Shoot...this is not good so prepare yourself.
Can you put something down that's smooth and flat so that that 'stuff' doesn't get caught on anything?

The less you mess with it the better chance it has to absorb it back in.
Should I put in a small container back in the incubator? Do I put anything on it? Thanks much!

Should I put in a small container back in the incubator? Do I put anything on it? Thanks much!
Don't touch it.
I would not stick the chick in a small container because it's just going to struggle and get stressed out which could make things worse.
I would cover the bottom of the floor so that that stuff can't get caught on anything.

It's wrapped around its leg (blue arrow). Red arrows are the leftover hatching junk.
View attachment 3391157

Can you get a close-up of the yellow arrow?
View attachment 3391158
The leftover junk was much thicker than I’ve seen, usually it’s been a pretty thin and dried up attachment. Should I also be addressing the feet, or wait on that to see how this plays out? Ay yii yii…

Back
Top Bottom