This can’t be an umbilical cord 🫤

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
I just hatched this chick a little over an hour ago. I noticed her toes were curled in so I went to get things for her little sandals, but when I pulled her out of the incubator I noticed her cord was wrapped around her foot, preventing her from extending her leg. I snipped the skinniest part I could find, and once her leg extended, I saw a bunch of what looked like poop from her. When I wiped it away, I saw what looks like something coming out of her insides. Can anyone tell me what this might be? I can only assume while she was hatching and kicking, I had to have been pulling on something. Thanks!
5819CD54-094C-409B-985A-431FF268BC4E.jpeg
EFF9079C-468D-4795-9FAF-09E50EBC7DBB.jpeg
E4C8804E-174E-474B-A627-D14E41464931.jpeg

Should I take her out and get the picture? Every time I get close to the incubator she starts getting excited.
The risk is that the hatch debris will get caught on something and rip the yolk and intestines out. If mine, I would open the incubator and remove as much of that hatch debris as possible.
The leftover junk was much thicker than I’ve seen, usually it’s been a pretty thin and dried up attachment.
Sometimes it's thicker, not sure why.
Should I also be addressing the feet, or wait on that to see how this plays out? Ay yii yii…
For the feet, I would wait 12-24 hours.

Read a similar post a while back and the OP there was told to separate that chick and basically wait and see. Sounds like it sucked back in, but OP didn’t circle back after initially saying it improved after the first night. I can see if I can track it down…

I think this is it? https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...its-insides-before-i-noticed-it-help.1526682/
Thank you! I saw similar posts, but none that looked like mine exactly. This birthing babies thing is for the birds 🤣

Shoot...this is not good so prepare yourself.
Can you put something down that's smooth and flat so that that 'stuff' doesn't get caught on anything?

The less you mess with it the better chance it has to absorb it back in.

Should I put in a small container back in the incubator? Do I put anything on it? Thanks much!
Don't touch it.
I would not stick the chick in a small container because it's just going to struggle and get stressed out which could make things worse.
I would cover the bottom of the floor so that that stuff can't get caught on anything.

Back
Top Bottom