This Canadian Chicken

cbbradfield

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Does anyone have a list of the Canadian cities and municipalities that allow backyard chickens? I've had quiet illegal chickens in my small village on Vancouver Island for about 3 years and I can hear the clucking regarding bylaws brewing. It's time to get vocal...but I need information. Anything would help.

Thank you,
cb

Hello my fellow V.Islander. Where abouts are you? I'm in Cobble Hill and although it's becoming very urbanized we are on 3+ acres and have horses and chickens. It seems as though almost every other property around has free range eggs for sale. If your village is small and fairly rural I would think chickens would be no problem. It's when the crowded subdivisions pop up in what used to be farmland that you get the uptight rules.

Hello Cobble Hillite!

I'm in Cumberland, where you'd think chickens would be be able to lay a legal egg, but no. Not yet anyway. That doesn't stop many of us, but there are problems, as you can imagine. A friend of mine with a new coop built in September just had to give up her chickens before Christmas because the village caught wind and gave her a deadline. Sigh. Miles to go before we sleep, I guess.... Anyway, now I'm just investigating the parameters to initiating a change to the bylaws but I know that at least one councilor is against it.

Caroline

Keep up the good fight "Cumberlandian". It took a while but even Nanaimo finally came to their senses and now allows 3 chickens but no roosters. If Nanaimo can think outside the box there may be hope for your town too. I lived in Nanaimo for 30+ years and they don't evolve without a fight. I think there are still some North end strata developments that don't allow any chickens. Stratas are very hard to work with as they make their own rules.

Perhaps bribing neighbors with yummy eggs? My fingers are crossed for you.

Back
Top Bottom