This cannot be normal šŸ˜¢ green poop

Aug 17, 2020
Manchester, UK
Hey all, I having a nightmare with one of my girls since early December, first she had a skin problem which is now remedied with creams. She was depressed, sleepy & poor condition so I wormed the whole flock 2 weeks ago tomorrow as they were due & I used Flubenvet mixed into their food. She perked up loads, colour returned in feathers & she was again interested in living life.

Today however, I noticed she wasnt pooping much & the last few days scratch has been noticeable & there was a green tinge to her poop. I spent the day try to catch her poop so I could check it and she delivered this about an hour before bed. I have seen her eat & she appears ok, a little decline from yesterday, but still chatty.

I am supposed to follow up the worming regime in a week but shall I start it tomorrow as I think worms are still plaguing this girl. She has also dropped from 1.8kg to 1.6kg in 8 days.

With Covid I am limited to visiting a vet & the only avain vet is 55 minutes away & on reduced hours due to the national lockdown. I also teach during the day so I can't just up & travel during school hours.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• F2756807-FB2D-432A-B738-2647A5C79F2D.jpeg
    F2756807-FB2D-432A-B738-2647A5C79F2D.jpeg
    571.7 KB · Views: 23
I can't quite tell if there are worms in the green glob there. You may have to wait a few hours for a response from someone who knows better than I, but those droppings do look abnormal. Can you provide pictures of the bird in question, what you used to worm and how much, as well as her age, a list of what her normal diet is and anything she may have gotten into free range to narrow down possibilities for the experts. And any other details that you can think of. Have you tried Corid for example for the possibility of cocci?

Good luck! I hope you get the help you're looking for once the rest of the world slowly starts to wake.

Hey all, I having a nightmare with one of my girls since early December, first she had a skin problem which is now remedied with creams. She was depressed, sleepy & poor condition so I wormed the whole flock 2 weeks ago tomorrow as they were due & I used Flubenvet mixed into their food. She perked up loads, colour returned in feathers & she was again interested in living life.

Today however, I noticed she wasnt pooping much & the last few days scratch has been noticeable & there was a green tinge to her poop. I spent the day try to catch her poop so I could check it and she delivered this about an hour before bed. I have seen her eat & she appears ok, a little decline from yesterday, but still chatty.

I am supposed to follow up the worming regime in a week but shall I start it tomorrow as I think worms are still plaguing this girl. She has also dropped from 1.8kg to 1.6kg in 8 days.

With Covid I am limited to visiting a vet & the only avain vet is 55 minutes away & on reduced hours due to the national lockdown. I also teach during the day so I can't just up & travel during school hours.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks
This lockdown business is a pain in the bum.
However, the first thing I would suggest is to worm her with individual doses.
I use Flubenvet here. I use the 6% formula. What are you using? If you are using 1% premixed then it's possible that your hen isn't getting the right dosage.
Next a crop check will tell you if she is eating and digesting her food properly. Given you're in the UK the night length should give ample time for the crop to empty overnight so you're looking for, or rather feeling for a completely empty crop first thing in the morning. Check while she's still on the roost is often easiest.
At night before she goes to roost her crop should be full.
You don't necessarily see worms in the poop when the worm load is high. Also, dark green poop is not that unusual, depending on what they've been eating.
I wonder if she has coccidia as well as worms. Do you have Corrid or Coccivex or similar?
If vet isn't an option I would probably treat for coccidia and worms at the same time.
I assume she's not laying given the time of year?
This articel may help you with Flubentvet dosages.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/flubendazole-worming-dosages.75090/

I can't quite tell if there are worms in the green glob there. You may have to wait a few hours for a response from someone who knows better than I, but those droppings do look abnormal. Can you provide pictures of the bird in question, what you used to worm and how much, as well as her age, a list of what her normal diet is and anything she may have gotten into free range to narrow down possibilities for the experts. And any other details that you can think of. Have you tried Corid for example for the possibility of cocci?

Good luck! I hope you get the help you're looking for once the rest of the world slowly starts to wake.

Thanks for replying.
She is 38weeks old - never laid black copper Maran. Pale face, hunched & teckuse
Diet of growers & layers - 4 others all laying
Wormed with 1% flubenvet mixed into food for 7days. followed up with poultry vitamins & probotics.
Treats - scratch in the afternoon & scrambled egg with a little coconut oil in the afternoon.
morning routine - mash made with pellets.
Fresh water daily.

not tried Corrid recently - I did 3 months ago

all other birds thriving & no issue at all.

This lockdown business is a pain in the bum.
However, the first thing I would suggest is to worm her with individual doses.
I use Flubenvet here. I use the 6% formula. What are you using? If you are using 1% premixed then it's possible that your hen isn't getting the right dosage.
Next a crop check will tell you if she is eating and digesting her food properly. Given you're in the UK the night length should give ample time for the crop to empty overnight so you're looking for, or rather feeling for a completely empty crop first thing in the morning. Check while she's still on the roost is often easiest.
At night before she goes to roost her crop should be full.
You don't necessarily see worms in the poop when the worm load is high. Also, dark green poop is not that unusual, depending on what they've been eating.
I wonder if she has coccidia as well as worms. Do you have Corrid or Coccivex or similar?
If vet isn't an option I would probably treat for coccidia and worms at the same time.
I assume she's not laying given the time of year?
This articel may help you with Flubentvet dosages.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/flubendazole-worming-dosages.75090/
Hi thanks for replying.
Restarted worming regime this morning. I have read about the grape method for 1% flubenvet

checked crop last night & it was full & empty this morning, she is drinking lots today but hardly eating - couple of mouthfuls of medicated mash.

her face is very pale & tail is still up but not walking about like usual. I am actually considering she is an internal layer tbh. All others are absolutely thriving and laying except for this one girl who has had a multitude of problems šŸ˜¢

Chickens can produce some really ugly poop, don't they? I don't usually get concerned unless I see blood or if it's yellow or bright green in color.

Back
Top Bottom