This chick has an interesting pattern..

Pics
I’m guessing this chick is one of the part ameraucana chicks. Interesting pattern on its face. The roo is australorp. I was told the hen could have been australorp, australorp/ameracauna mix or ameraucana.

Anyone seen one like this and could tell me what kind they think it is? Bottom left in last pic
These are the same chicks @NatJ

Attachments

• C07D86F6-2B1D-4762-841C-2714B30F6318.jpeg
    C07D86F6-2B1D-4762-841C-2714B30F6318.jpeg
    713.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 3329E924-EF5D-4A9E-97E9-2A266F106301.jpeg
    3329E924-EF5D-4A9E-97E9-2A266F106301.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 3
They are supposed to be the australorp roo with cross of hen possibilities:
1. Easter egger( was told ameraucana but thinking it’s just an EE),
2. Wyandotte, (hers are Columbian) but we discussed maybe she has Delaware’s and doesn’t know the difference, hence the barring.
3. Australorp (I think we can all agree they are not pure australorp 😂)
Yes, I agree they are not pure Australorp.

The one certainly has white barring, which must come from either the father or the mother. So there's a barred bird in the mix somewhere, no matter what the owner thinks the birds are called. Yes, a Delaware parent would account for that quite nicely.

All the chicks appear to have single combs. A Delaware/Australorp cross would have a single comb. A Wyandotte cross would be more likely to have a rose comb, although some "Wyandottes" have single combs anyway (not supposed to, but there are reasons not to breed out the recessive gene for single combs.)

I think the one with the brown patterning is probably an Easter Egger cross, as you originally guessed. Many Easter Eggers have pea combs, and the chick has a single comb, so that would require an Easter Egger who at least carries the gene for single comb-- not too rare, since Cream Legbars became popular and started being bred into the Easter Egger flocks at some hatcheries. There's also a chance of that chick being a Delaware-cross, although I think that is less likely.

I'm thinking the father may not be pure Australorp, just like the father of the yellow chick is probably not a pure Cuckoo Marans. Both Black Australorp and Cuckoo Marans should be pure for the E gene that makes chickens black all over-- but the patterned chick in this batch and the yellow chick do not have that gene, which is impossible if their father is actually pure for the gene (well, impossible unless a new mutation happens, but mixed chickens are very much more common than random mutations, so I always assume mixing as the first explanation.)

Back
Top Bottom