This coop?

1517780373613643048446.jpg

Its raining so I brought them inside and put them in their house. I used a string to keep the door open so they can walk in and out as they please.

I have a design for a coop already in my mind. but thanks! It's just gonna be a square with five sides of waterproof wood and the side attached to the run will be completely open. It will be three feet by three feet so it's nine square feet. The run will be five feet by five feet and will be twenty-five square feet. If I can find tall enough hardware cloth im gonna try to make it tall enough for me to stand up in. The roof of the run will be either hardware cloth or wood. I prefer hardware cloth so they can get lots of light in and i will have some shady spots for them to hide in, like maybe some sheets of wood propped up against the sides of the run. There will be one roost in the middle of their coop that is three feet long, because they need one foot of roost space per bird, if I am correct, and I plan on maybe adding a Batman chicken later on, if I can find one in my area for cheap. I will keep their current cage and use it when one of them is sick and needs to be quaranteened or for when I get new chickens to introduce them in. Is there anything I am missing? Is there anything I could add to make it better?
Instead of 3x3 make your coop 4x4. Sheets of plywood come in 4x8, 4x4, that way you’re not wasting material and 3x3 will be overcrowded if you add any other chicken. Good luck!

Well, there are several that might work just to get you started. Some are not very large, but one of those might make a good "starter coop" if you will plan to add a second coop later. You could start a Coop Village!

Read and consider the reviews. Also do you have a tape measure? You need toi get one if you don't so you can see and lay out those dimensions.
The run is 23.5 inches high. That's less than 2 feet. Knee high.
ETA so that makes the actual coop just 11 inches high. A sheet of paper is 11 inches. How tall is your rooster?

Maybe revisit the hoop coop idea. These are easy, low materials, affordable. Even if you started with one panel they'd have quadruple the space of a doll house style prefab plus actually safe.

Back
Top Bottom