This forum has been much different lately.

Pics
Many people are suggesting, and the smart people, without their say, should just be there always to give information, and that this cannot be used if they are doing their own thing.
Saying that people cannot put rainbows on their profile, away some of their freedom, as does saying that people cannot discuss what they think. Should someone have to start a whole other thread because they have a quest for someone about what they posted?
And for a lot of the other side of the argument, should someone be kicked because they have different opinions?

For the people who have read The Giver, See any similarities?

No one should be forced to spend all their time doing what others want them to. People who want to patrol the emergency things are welcome to do so and are respected.
People should not be kicked because they have different opinions, and while hijaking and joking around while an animals life is at risk is not ok, if someone has a few questions for someone on a thread they should not fell afraid to ask unless it’s just rude or mean.
Gay, Transgender, and Race are all topics that are relevant to our society today, and while it should not become the main topic of a thread about chickens... peacefully discussing it, or spreading/ supporting positive messages is not bad, and if you disagree, you can keep it to your self.
This post is contradictive

BYC is clearly not reserved specifically for poultry emergency or health situations, but also for socialization among people who enjoy poultry. Otherwise there wouldn't be specific areas for social. We also can appropriately comfort each other and offer emotional support - even in the poultry catagories in my opinion. I very much understand wanting to advocate for the animals, but if the owner wants immediate medical advice they can go to an emergency veterinarian. It is no BYC member's responsibility.

I propose that it is possible that if we had no human social option perhaps a lot of us wouldn't hang out on BYC nearly so much and wouldn't have the opportunity to see the poultry emergencies when they presented themselves.

That being said, I do have some feelings.

Some threads do get crazy off topic, which isn't helpful. I agree with many things that have been said, like no advice is better than wrong advice. Additionally I would appreciate it if more people would mention where they discovered the information they are writing about. Disagreeing and discussing contradicting ways of doing things in a calm, reasonable, respectful way is perfectly acceptable. It's ok to do things differently. Sometimes I hesitate to mention that my vet told me not to do something that someone has suggested because I suspect someone is going to get offended.

I also very much agree with what @JacinLarkwell said about some members being overly emotional regarding culling/rehoming. Personally I don't cull my birds, but that choice is up to the owner. If we can't support the owner we don't need to participate.

Tagging people in the threads is likely the best way to help.
Agree! A few months ago, I would respond to HELP!! postings that were a few hours old and had no replies with "I don't know the answer, but I'll tag some people who probably do." Every one of the OPs thanked me for helping. We were all new to BYC and to having chickens at one time.

Back
Top Bottom