This forum has been much different lately.

Pics

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
I feel as though it’s just kids on here. There’s all these people making trouble, clogging up informational threads, or trying to answer things they don’t understand. I realize that it’s not fair to say it’s all kids that are doing this, but it really doesn’t feel like the same BYC. I barely post in public anymore because it’s not the same smart forum filled with knowledgeable members anymore- it’s like a birthday party.
I understand that it’s fun to talk, but keep the chat in the chat threads or PMs - and keep it appropriate.
I’m just tired of it.

Take this with a grain of salt, please.

My biggest thing isn't the chatting. It's the one sided-ness of everything.

This is the internet. You are going to see all kinds of stuff you disagree with. I see stuff every single day I don't agree with. I very rarely cry to mods about it. It seems like today's "offense culture" has taken over here. Whenever someone sees something that offends them, they hit that report button and/or start a thread to whine about it. The report button should only be used for serious rule breaking. Not petty things that hurt your feelings or offend you. You see something you don't like? Move on. No need to waste mods time on it or nitpick about it.

I left social media for these reasons. Tired of all the fighting and offending, complaining, and whining. This is seriously starting to feel like Facebook.

It's a chicken forum. Let's keep it that way. I don't care what people talk about either. That's not what I mean. What I mean is this: you do you, but let me do me. You see something you don't like? I do too. I just don't whine or complain about it. You do the same. Just move on and chat with friends or help someone that could use it.... if you actually know what you're talking about that is.

I saw this thread last night and decided against making any response; when I saw it again this morning and that it had gained some steam, I read all the posts and feel like I really, really want to answer.

I LOVE this forum. It has literally been a lifeline for some of my poultry and a way for me to keep in touch with the "outside world" since my early retirement and the pandemic restrictions.

It makes me sad to read about people wanting to leave the group. It is still a community of smart, helpful people who do a lot of good. Leaving seems to me like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Stay and make it better, if you feel it has strayed.

As a BYC member, I learned early on to make sure that when I didn't absolutely KNOW an answer, I should either refrain from commenting or make sure to explain that this is how I handled a situation in my experience, not that my way was the best or only way.

In my early days of membership, I was taken to task a couple of times by people who clearly knew more than I did, and it stung a bit.

But, as a former newspaper editor, I faced criticism on a regular basis, and I learned to separate the tone from the substance of the message. My BYC critics were right, and I was wrong. I accepted what they said and did not continue a pointless back-and-forth discussion.

We seem to live in a society where we want to divide and label people -- by their age, their beliefs, whatever. We can more easily discount a person's point of view if we call that person by a collective nickname.

We share this world with every single person in it. I have long admired a 1930's piece called "Desiderata," which lays out a blueprint for living a good life, including this: "Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story."

I want this forum to continue, and I want people on it to be able to express their opinions and their knowledge -- even when I disagree with their premise. Don't let a minority of posters take down a great resource for so many.

And, hey, if you disagree with anything I've said, I'm okay with that. I live in sweltering Iowa; I can take the heat!

I know I may have been guilty of saying something that turned out to be incorrect, but for the most part I try to stick to only what I know and tag people if I'm tagged on some thread I have no business being tagged on.

I'm getting tired of people that know their birds are needing changes in lifestyle (selling birds to get to a reasonable amount or using actual medicine not the homeopathic stuff that's become popular, or even just culling a bird that likely isn't going to get better). A lot of people seem to think it's cruel to cull a sick bird or not take it to the vet, when it just isn't always the case.

I feel as though it’s just kids on here. There’s all these people making trouble, clogging up informational threads, or trying to answer things they don’t understand. I realize that it’s not fair to say it’s all kids that are doing this, but it really doesn’t feel like the same BYC. I barely post in public anymore because it’s not the same smart forum filled with knowledgeable members anymore- it’s like a birthday party.
I understand that it’s fun to talk, but keep the chat in the chat threads or PMs - and keep it appropriate.
I’m just tired of it.

Take this with a grain of salt, please.

20210610_082538.jpg

The other day I commented about something and someone quoted my post saying they didn't know if I was serious or joking. (I was serious)
I then quoted them replying that sometimes it was hard to tell because I wasn't right in the head.
I immediately had the post deleted and received a friendly reminder not to be rude or hurtful to other members.
Is it over the top when a site wants to protect my feelings from myself?

I completely agree. It makes me so sad to see what BYC has become. :(
I know for a fact that there are quite a few underage kids on here, who start meaningless or controversial threads just to get attention. They've taken over all of the sections on here, and spread false information like wild fire.
I can't even hardly help anyone anymore because before I can reply to a thread, the OP has taken the advice of some kid who doesn't know what they're talking about.
I'm seriously considering leaving. I love BYC so much, and it used to be a safe place where people could forget what was going on in the world and just share their love for poultry. I have made so many special friends here. But I just can't take all of the arguing and constant reporting. Threads are getting locked right and left, and if some kid decides they don't like someone they follow them around and report every little thing. I just can't take it. I never have a problem with someone who doesn't fully agree with me. As long as they aren't pushing their opinions, and aren't being mean, I don't care. But this is just ridiculous.

I'm going to be taking a break for a while.

I agree. It’s hard to help anyone, or get help yourself lately.
It seems like all threads where someone needs help turn into chat threads, or get completely incorrect info, or are never answered at all.
I get trying to help...but when you don’t know something, you should learn it before you try to answer.

FYI: We're reading and reviewing all the feedback in this thread. We're especially thankful for those that are providing feedback in a helpful, friendly, and supportive tone with as much specific details and examples as possible.

We're definitely not perfect, but we've got over 50 years of combined experience managing and moderating online discussion forums and communities, and will continue to run things in a way that we feel is best for our community as a whole.

Of course, we know it's impossible to please all people all the time, but we do our best :D

That said, we can feel pretty dang confident in the unbiased jobs we're doing when "all sides" of a perspective are saying we're biased towards the other side ;)

To reiterate, we know we're not perfect. We know we make mistakes... but we've also seen hundreds (probably thousands) of posts over the past 15 years (even since day #1 of starting BYC) that our actions are going to be the death of this community.

... and at least at the time of this post, we're still alive and kicking.

Jimmy Fallon Singing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

200.gif

Back
Top Bottom