Fowl pox and possible infection

Mamaschickens5

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2023
My chickens came down with fowl pox last month. First symptoms were October 12 in my one broody chicken. She went from having a few pox on her comb and around her eye to her eye being swollen and having discharge. I ended up treating her with duramycin injection for her eye because it got really bad really fast. I gave 2 injections 3 days apart and it cleared her eye quickly. She came out and was foraging and dust bathing with her sisters. About 3 days later she started limping and holding up one leg. It’s been almost 2 weeks of her barely using that leg. Now my rooster is limping and keeps laying down in random places. He started having minor symptoms of illness about 3 weeks ago but doesn’t have any pox. When broody chicken first got sick someone suggested mycoplasma and upon looking up current symptoms including the leg pain I came across mycoplasma synovae. 5/5 chickens have pox lesions. 1/5 had severe eye infection. 5/5 have been eating less and have been a bit less active. At least 3/5 sound different. Sounds like there’s inflammation or swelling somewhere in throat or something. Rooster is tired, eating less, cranky and whiny. 4/5 still laying but at least 1 is only laying every other day. Broody chicken hasn’t been laying but isn’t broody anymore. The chicken that got sick first face and comb turning white. I have a heater in coop right now so it doesn’t get too cold and stress them more. I’ve been using vetrx in there water and I used betadine on their pox when they were first starting. If dealing with a micoplasma infection would giving them antibiotics help with the leg pain and inflammation? Or would it help with symptoms in general? Also I’m attaching a picture of the sickest chicken who has the white on face and comb. Any advice is appreciated. They are about 9 months old. The rooster is 6 months. They’re all eating and drinking just a little less. They’re still on their same schedule and acting normal besides broody chicken who’s far less active because her leg hurts. The rest of them keep going after broody chicken and won’t let her near them. She sleeps on opposite side of coop away from the rest. I feed her separately and away from the rest because they attack her.

Attachments

• A62399C3-6C70-4A35-A101-9EFC5D2F694B.png
    A62399C3-6C70-4A35-A101-9EFC5D2F694B.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 44
What is your general location? Oh I see, it is SC. I don’t recommend heating the coop unless temps are near zero, because of the fire risk, and because if they get used to heat, and the power goes out, it will be a huge change. Also, heat may cause panting, and they need to keep used to cool winter temperatures.

Do you see any green bruising or swelling of the legs or feet of the ones who are lame? A close up of the lower legs and feet would be good. MS causes swelling of the ankles and hocks. Do any chickens still have any fowl pox scabs that would show up in a picture? In case the comb is just dry, vaseline may be good to rub into the skin. If it is a yeast infection, then miconazole cream can be rubbed on the white flaky skin. Chickens can have dried pale combs when not laying in winter weather.

Back
Top Bottom