This forum has been much different lately.

Pics
If the poster hasn't taken the time to do a cursory internet search - which, honestly, would answer a substantial portion of the questions posed here on BYC - they certainly can't be expected to troll the forums long enough to sort the chaff from the wheat.
Almost makes ya wonder how anyone raises chickens without the internet huh. It’s not rocket science. Many people like to over complicate things instead of simplifying them.

What’s so hard about it?
Most newbies don't know to look at a posters prior postings,
they just take their advice right off the bat.
Tho as I type that, it may be more a lack of common sense.

Not really, just read (a lot) more than you post. Six years and I still read way more than I post, and am still learning.
I've told more than a few brand new experts members exactly that.
Yeppers....again lack of common sense.

Gotcha. Yeah I see what you mean. I think when someone is able to help someone it makes them feel good. They just need to think hard whether or not they’re just repeating what they’ve heard. It’s kinda like a *fake it til you make it* type deal.

"Sense is never common." R A Heinlein (1900s)

"I’ve found that common sense ain’t so common.” Samuel Clemmens (aka "Mark Twain") or perhaps Wil Rogers (its attributed commonly to both). 1800s

“Common sense is something that everyone needs, few have, and none think they lack.” - Ben Franklin (1700s)

Or this from Amhurst (1600s)
1623460902972.png

"Rarus enim ferme sensus communis." [translation] "Common sense is generally rare." Juvenal (about 100 CE)

Common sense would suggest, with the backdrop of the great weight of history, that it would be uncommonly wise - perhaps even quotable - NOT to expect common sense in the common creature of the human species. :lau

/edit and I'm still an insufferable ass.

Last edited:
I do understand what everyone is saying. Often (especially when I was new) I would post without really knowing.

Now I’ve done a bit more research, and usually post from what my experiences have been, although sometimes I’ll give information that someone else has given me.

For example, when my RIR, Ponyo, (rest in peace) was sick, Azygous helped me try my best to save her. She told me how to tube feed, calcium dosages, other medicines to give her, that oatmeal and scrambled eggs can get them to eat, etc. (unfortunately Ponyo didn’t make it)

Now I sometimes share what seemed to help for me, sharing some of the advice Azygous gave me, like how much calcium to give to an egg bound hen, etc.

I apologize if this is not ok.

I do understand what everyone is saying. Often (especially when I was new) I would post without really knowing.

Now I’ve done a bit more research, and usually post from what my experiences have been, although sometimes I’ll give information that someone else has given me.

For example, when my RIR, Ponyo, (rest in peace) was sick, Azygous helped me try my best to save her. She told me how to tube feed, calcium dosages, other medicines to give her, that oatmeal and scrambled eggs can get them to eat, etc. (unfortunately Ponyo didn’t make it)

Now I sometimes share what seemed to help for me, sharing some of the advice Azygous gave me, like how much calcium to give to an egg bound hen, etc.

I apologize if this is not ok.
Relax Lemon Drop. This isn't about you. Indeed, the story of how you learned it, and the outcome offered, helps provide context for the experience you offered. That has value of its own.

Back
Top Bottom