This forum has been much different lately.

Pics
:lau Man you guys are complaining about changes in the last few years. I haven't been online for about 6-7 years and just came by to check the site out and was astounded at some of the things being allowed to be posted. Btw never seen so many "lash eggs" in my life that were not lash eggs. The amount of disinformation is astounding. To many people that think they know what is going on but have no clue and that smothers the people giving the correct information. I also came across a few threads that would have been taken down instantly back in 2010 but are allowed to be left up now.
I will say though the kids that like to play around on the site has never changed. Though I see a lot more of them in "important" threads asking real questions.
Only other real complaint I can find is that staff seem to be much more lax on keeping topics in the correct sub forum as things seemed to be a lot more organized back when I used to be a regular on the site.

You do need to remember though that this is an open forum so anything posted on it should be reviewed and especially for important issues verified that it is in fact true.

I will say even back in 2010 though I felt the site was slowly declining. Especially when the new Forum version came out. We lost some cool features and watched a lot of my friends leave the site. Its actually crazy to think that at one time there was a chat room where we all could talk.

Last edited:
While we're confessing our faults ... I thought I was helping by asking questions. When someone came on with an emergency late at night, when I knew the educators weren't available, I'd ask the questions I knew would help in making a diagnosis. Kinda like when you go to the doctor and the nurse takes a history and screens you. But I'd tell them, I know what questions to ask, but I can't help you myself, so I'm going to tag someone who can. Then I'd tag some of the educators, explaining that someone would probably come on to help in the morning. I guess I shouldn't do that? But by morning that request for help would (ETA have been) long gone ... lost in the myriad social posts that would have pushed it to the bottom of the pile. If that was wrong, I apologize. I was trying to help.

While we're confessing our faults ... I thought I was helping by asking questions. When someone came on with an emergency late at night, when I knew the educators weren't available, I'd ask the questions I knew would help in making a diagnosis. Kinda like when you go to the doctor and the nurse takes a history and screens you. But I'd tell them, I know what questions to ask, but I can't help you myself, so I'm going to tag someone who can. Then I'd tag some of the educators, explaining that someone would probably come on to help in the morning. I guess I shouldn't do that? But by morning that request for help would (ETA have been) long gone ... lost in the myriad social posts that would have pushed it to the bottom of the pile. If that was wrong, I apologize. I was trying to help.
That isn't a problem, it's actually quite helpful.
The problem is when someone replies to an urgent thread with utter nonsense. Whether intentional or not it can cause issues. Or when a couple of people hijack a serious thread and the OP gets lost in the idle chatter.

The problem is when someone replies to an urgent thread with utter nonsense. Whether intentional or not it can cause issues. Or when a couple of people hijack a serious thread and the OP gets lost in the idle chatter.
I can’t believe this what people are doing lately...I think the best solution is to have BYC rule if YOU don’t have the expertise knowledge with in urgent health thread, please don’t reply with I don’t know, can’t help you. Kindly PM someone who does have the expertise to let them know this poster is asking for help in thread X.
I follow a turtle forum that has this rule, don’t post a reply to a medical help if you don’t have the knowledge of what wrong, or definitely DON’T reply of Guessing the species of the turtle/tortoise. This goes for the same with many reptile forum.

Perhaps BYC must to the same. So no misinformation is spread.
————
I don’t think my phone working right, or this forum is acting weird. But I don’t think I got the right person I wanted to quote! Lol

I follow a turtle forum that has this rule, don’t post a reply to a medical help if you don’t have the knowledge of what wrong, or definitely DON’T reply of Guessing the species of the turtle/tortoise. This goes for the same with many reptile forum.

Perhaps BYC must to the same. So no misinformation is spread.
That's just 'common' sense and old school forum etiquette.
Who would enforce this rule?

That's just 'common' sense and old school forum etiquette.
Who would enforce this rule?
I thought I suggest it, it working on those forums. Too many people over there were bad guessing and most information giving were not accurate. Over time it gotten some knowledgeable members upset along with administrators. That was a solution they all follow up with to stop the misinformation.

I've done similar. I will ask them for pictures or the details I know people will need to help them so time is saved when they get there. When birds need help and/or people panic time is important.

TL;DR all of this but I agree with the OP. I havent been posting or online that much cause Ive been busy but Ive been checking in just to see my alerts on older threads and I dont see them to the extent I used to. Ive also noticed when posting we tend to have more people being either judgmental or argumentative. Maybe this is due to people being cooped up? Idk, I've just noticed theres less and less people embracing the BYC spirit and more people treating this like facebook. I think the problem stems from the point/like system because its something to obtain versus earn through community support; i.e. community badges. Just my two cents.

TL;DR all of this but I agree with the OP. I havent been posting or online that much cause Ive been busy but Ive been checking in just to see my alerts on older threads and I dont see them to the extent I used to. Ive also noticed when posting we tend to have more people being either judgmental or argumentative. Maybe this is due to people being cooped up? Idk, I've just noticed theres less and less people embracing the BYC spirit and more people treating this like facebook. I think the problem stems from the point/like system because its something to obtain versus earn through community support; i.e. community badges. Just my two cents.
I really don't care about the point system or the likes, other than if I leave a post for someone and they like it, I know they've read it. I don't need an award for starting posts or having an avatar. Honestly, this reminds me of the participation trophies they give to kids. Awards for informative articles or things like that (which I don't have) actually carry some meaning. Awards for everything renders awards meaningless.

Maybe a revamp of the feedback system would help some? Probably not a lot, but anyway....

I'm also here to confess...when I first joined this forum, I was part of at a lot of threads and asked a bunch of dumb questions about my own birds that really weren't important. I was overexcited and acting very immature with how enthusiastic I was-in reality, I could have spent more time greeting, researching, and answering my own questions by myself before bothering the more experienced members with trivial quail issues that I made up in my first-timer head to be of life-or-death importance. Oh, how I wish I could smack my former self on the head and tell myself to take a chill pill and not clog the forum, but I was just so excited to be part of a forum with other poultry raisers that I jumped in without thinking about how annoying I must have been to the others. I sincerely apologize. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom