This forum has been much different lately.

Pics
Like this one?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/t̷h̷e̸-̵g̶a̴m̸e̵-chat-thread.1446192/

I dont get it either. I also dont understand half the things they say. I get random ramblings but the games and RPs....makes no sense. I remember a time when you went on Neopets, chatted on AOL and when you were bored checked out Ebaumsworld. I understand if some of these younger people need an outlet because their parents may not allow them on social media...but theres a reason they dont allow them on social media! This is a chicken site and should remain just that
Just scroll by if you don’t understand it lol
Roleplays have been on BYC long before I joined and it is a distinguished part of the Games forum, even the Staff has acknowledged it in the very first thread when you open the section. No need to complain about roleplays, members are free to talk about things other than chickens. Ignore them if they aren’t for you, as simple as that.

Just scroll by if you don’t understand it lol
Roleplays have been on BYC long before I joined and it is a distinguished part of the Games forum, even the Staff has acknowledged it in the very first thread when you open the section. No need to complain about roleplays, members are free to talk about things other than chickens. Ignore them if they aren’t for you, as simple as that.
role-plays are fine, if there in the right section. i don't get them i mean i rather play a video game then play pretend on the internet but hey that is just me.

Like this one?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/t̷h̷e̸-̵g̶a̴m̸e̵-chat-thread.1446192/

I dont get it either. I also dont understand half the things they say. I get random ramblings but the games and RPs....makes no sense. I remember a time when you went on Neopets, chatted on AOL and when you were bored checked out Ebaumsworld. I understand if some of these younger people need an outlet because their parents may not allow them on social media...but theres a reason they dont allow them on social media! This is a chicken site and should remain just that
In the first half of this thread, you were, as a majority, annoyed that people were taking over other serious threads.

If you removed spaces like the "Games, Jokes, and Fun!" section, people would definitely do that a lot more often, and it would force quite a few people off the site.

Those threads are necessary in so many ways. For example, meeting like-minded people, de-stressing after helping with a more gorey/upsetting part of the site, chatting about things that maybe only chicken peeps can understand, using up some of that creative energy, etc.

They're also a large part of the ad revenue gained, and needed, to keep the site running, and safe for younger members.

Please remember, BYC isn't just a place for learning and helping; It's a place to meet people who share a common interest, to make some new friends who understand the love we feel for our backyard chickens.

Don't knock it until you try it. :)

I think it only natural that the site evolves with time. And of course with the sheer amount of added and still adding members, it is not to be expected to remain the same as it was some 10 years ago.

The Covid situation has led/allowed people to aquire poultry that would not have been able to do so before. Staying at home, remote working and homeschooling etc. induced a tsunami of new members, which of course also brought their pent up need for further communication with them, hence all the chatter.

As long as the netiquette is respected and noone is bullied, I see no harm in the evolution of online forums.

I am not saying one way or the other what is right or wrong, because I really do not care one way or the other, but have been reading this thread more for entertainment.

However, people keep pointing out that this is not a "social media" site. Really?? I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I am pretty sure this is a social media site. I mean I do get what you are saying in a sense. It is not FaceSmash or uh, I mean Facebook, but I think it still fits the model of social media. People are on here to.....yes, socialize.

Of course, not all are on here to socialize, but most of the people that post at all also post on here socially. And, it is not against the rules or there would not be all the social sections on here and it might would even say in the rules not to socialize. I don't think it does.

I am also fairly sure that the main reason people have noticed such a change the last few months has very much to do with covid. I imagine that brought many more people onboard as their lives changed working from home (as someone pointed out earlier) as well as just not going and going as much. The influx of the younger generation could probably be attributed to this as well with home schooling and less of their normal social activities going on. Will it trend back to its previous state as we emerge from the pandemic? Possibly. yes. However, as with most significate happenings some landscape will be forever transformed in some form or fashion.

I came onboard myself in the mist of the pandemic but not because of the pandemic. I came onboard because I had decided to start raising some chickens, but my life had not really changed because of Covid. I just decided to start doing it and there just happened to be a pandemic going on.

I needed to learn a few things which I have and I am appreciative. I could have probably found out the same things on other sites. And, I do, because even after getting info on this site I usually still do a good bit of research from other sites before I act. I mean a search engine is how I came across this site.

You hear people making fun of other people at times with the ole "where did you get that info at? The internet!" I just never get that. I get info off of the internet daily and I will not go so far as to say it is "always" correct, but pretty dadgum close. I even seen someone post on here one time that people should not get info for chickens off the internet, but should get it here. Or, maybe they said Google instead of the internet. I do not remember, but it is still the internet either way. Search Engines be it google, yahoo, bing or my favorite DuckDuckGo because it does not track you and bombard you with ads. But, it is still the ole world wide web.

And, I am sure the the powers that be want as many people as possible on BYC because it is a business and people on here is what pays the bills.

Back
Top Bottom