This got dropped off at my house last night - what is it & how old?

dulcimer lady

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
Ok, this little chicken got dropped off at my house last night. It looked awful young to me...too young to stay outside without a heat lamp. I didn't even have any food for one that age so I made it cream of wheat. (All my hens are full grown.) I'll get it some food today. But what kind of chicken is this? I have RIRs so that's what I'm used to. And any guess as to age?

Here's an overall shot:
homepics030.jpg

Head shot
wink.png

homepics031.jpg

I took this one so you could see how long the beak is from the side:
homepics032.jpg

In person, that beak is quite long. I wish I had taken a picture of it's feet because the toes are just as long and lanky as the beak is.

Also, I have no idea as to sex. If it's a roo, that would be fine as I don't have one yet.

Good backyard mix.

I don't think I've ever seen a beak like that! Almost looks like a vulture!
lol.png

Too early for me to determine sex.

It looks to be a pullet and around 1-2 months old. I have no idea of the breed, probably a cross of some sort. I agree about the beak being too long but it looks as tho the bottom is just as long as the top. It's hard to tell in the pic whether it is a bantam or standard sized bird.

If I remember right from reading somewhere on here, that the longer the beak is, going straighter or more hooked, its an older bird.

It's getting down into the high 20s low 30s at night. I've got it with a heat lamp right now. How long should I keep it with the lamp?

I don't think it's an older bird - it can't even eat feed pellets for grown birds. I'm having to give it cream of wheat until I can get to TSC.

Is it fully feathered out? (looks to be) If so, it shouldn't need the heat lamp. Most wean from heat lamps around 5-7 weeks when fully feathered-- no baby fuzz left.
A true heat lamp might keep it too warm at that age... I use just a regular light bulb if you feel you must use something.

my Dh says that looks very much like a red tailed hawk about 4 weeks old. and he will die if you are feeding him grain, they need meat, do you have a bird sanctuary near by?? if not you will have to get a thick glove and feed it raw meat but you will have to hold the meat tightly.

What ever it is its a beautiful bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom