This is a hen right?! 😂

How did you establish which one started laying when?

Because the one you're asking about does seem to have a redder comb than the others--which can indicate layer vs non-layer, or a male vs female.

If this one is laying (but fooling you), then that would clearly answer the gender question :)

I was watching them pretty closely, because I wasn't sure who was laying initially. They are pretty close to my house while we're building the coop, so I walk by them all the time, and sit and watch them. I was intentionally trying to see who was laying. I'm absolutely sure of the two that are laying. I definitely thought the bright red comb meant that this one was going to be laying soon, but nothing yet, and then I saw her mounting the other one today. I definitely am considering that it was a dominance thing, but I also wanted your opinions.

I'm just so out of it and dying right now that I can't remember if it was @NatJ who said this originally, but in another thread, someone said that if you put a bit of food dye on a clean finger and insert it into the hen's vent, you will be able to see which hen is laying which egg because it will have streaks of the food dye on it. If you use a different color for each hen, you can see who is laying eggs. (though I think using red would be rather alarming, maybe don't use red)

Also, I saw the egg fall out of 1 of them 😂

Excellent proof for that one!

I just can't decide, from looking at the photos, what gender bird you have there.
But if it's proven to either crow or lay, then of course that settles that :)

Have you tried looking at their butts?
The ones that are laying will have a larger, more moist vent (because an egg comes out regularly), and a non-layer's vent is smaller and puckered up.

Also, there are two bones, one on each side of the vent--you can feel their ends. A non-laying bird will have them quite close together. A laying bird, or one that is close to laying, will have enough space in between for the egg to come through.

It's usually pretty obvious--start with the one you know is laying. Roosters are non-layers for this purpose, so it's not useful for sexing chickens; just for seeing if this bird's been secretly laying eggs.

@black_cat, the food coloring idea wasn't mine, although I agree it sounds like it could work.

I had a hen that looked really similar to your chicken. Im going to guess hen!
20200706_103110.jpg

Back
Top Bottom