This is a hen right?! 😂

please tell me this is a hen LOL. I bought them from a store, probably a month ago now. 1 was laying when I got her, the other one started letting about two weeks ago. This specific "hen" is not laying yet. She goes in the nesting box every day, but doesn't lay anything. Today I caught her fighting and mounting my other hen. They probably are around six months, I think they have just started laying. This hen is the loudest, yelling in the morning, but not crowing. I just wanted to double-check that it is in fact a hen and not a young rooster. They're supposedly americana's, they have cheek Puffs and a beard. This one has a middle part on top of its head.
I have a Lavender ameraucana looks just like that but mine is a Rooster I gonna say male

If that is a male.....there should be crowing by now.

I still say female.

I agree, totally. I had a Freedom Ranger broiler that I wasn't sure was male or female, but leaning towards it being a male. Once he started his croaky crowing (the voice cracking of a boy coming of age), there was no more wondering.

I have easter eggers from cackle hatchery that look a lot like these birds. My experience with this breed tells me that is a young rooster with a pea or rose comb. The mounting, obvious difference in appearance, and fighting also clues. I say if it walks like a duck..... I actually have a easter egger hen that crows every single morning since the rooster died last year. Not to worry tho, my easter egger rooster was a fine chap, he took very good care of all the girls and was gentle to the children. Gave his life to attempt fighting off a Red fox that destroyed my flock.

See my avatar? That is (Sir) Fluffybutt the Loki of chickens. He made it to almost 10 months before I finally figured out that my lovely fluffy and very friendly blue Wyandotte hen was a roo. He was a very slow developer and a bit timid next to my dominant hen but he actually made a very VERY good rooster once he did grow up, just a bit loud.
Your bird does look like a roo to me but, I had an Americana hen once who was that long-legged and rangy. I bought two chicks from our local feed store and thought I had a hen and roo until I suddenly started getting two blue eggs a day! Give it a month or two. Don't want to jump the gun and lose a good hen. If it crows, then you'll know.

Back
Top Bottom