This is a pullet right?

At 7 weeks, there are no saddles to sex by.
It shouldn't matter if the bird is 7 weeks or 7 months. The one pictured has its adult feathers. With a better pic, it's sex could be determined. Don't forget that both sexes have saddle feathers, the girl's are usually rounder and fatter. The boy's saddle feathers are usually more curved, longer, and pointy.
And don't forget the hackle feathers in its cape. They tell sex too.

But who knows? I could have my sex feathering all mixed up! :D

Last edited:
It shouldn't matter if the bird is 7 weeks or 7 months. The one pictured has its adult feathers. With a better pic, it's sex could be determined. Don't forget that both sexes have saddle feathers, the girl's are usually rounder and fatter. The boy's saddle feathers are usually more curved, longer, and pointy.
And don't forget the hackle feathers in its cape. They tell sex too.

But who knows? I could have my sex feathering all mixed up! :D
The saddles aren’t included in the first set of feathers to come in.
And yes, I know girls have saddles too.

Yea ill post a new picture with closeups. But my chicks are nearly impossible to grab. I know how saddle feathers and hackles are supposed to look, but I do think its too early to tell by that.

So I am unable to get a clearer picture than the ones provided. There are no hackle or saddle feathers though. Also I made a mistake this chick is 6 weeks not 7.

I'm kind of on the fence with this one. But, with the red comb and the fact that there is very little tail development, I'm going to say boy for now. You can post some more pictures in a few weeks to be sure though.

Back
Top Bottom