This is a REALLY GROSS question, but need an honest answer!!

My uncle swears up and down that BBQ'd raccoon is good!! But even though I like the idea of keeping tails for trophies, I've never been able to get past the grossness factor of raccoons to skin their tails, much less skin one to eat! Humans also eat opossums. I figure if humans can eat them, surely the birds can,
but personally I throw the predator bodies out of range of my nose - for the scavengers to enjoy.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I can't imagine what the neighbors would think/say/complain if I were out cooking chicken predators on a spit on the backyard! lol

I'd cook it and give it to my girls. I see no problem doing this at all. It's meat like anything else, we think it's gross because it is not the norm to eat, but I gaurantee your chickens won't care.

Gee I wouldn't kill a possum for eating cat food. If your chicken house/run is so flimsy a possum can get in you have bigger problems.

*sigh* I love opossums, though I know others don't. Had one as a beloved pet for years, found him nearly dead in the road, after being hit by a car. Brought him home and took care of him. Still miss him, RIP Yanni. .......But anyway, back on track! No, please don't let them eat it. Opossums/all wild animals can carry so many diseases! Also, what about the bullet? That can't be good for them.

Quote:
hahahah when you start feeding more possums and raccoons than cats.....you have a problem.
Granted it's usually easier solved by only putting out what your cats will eat in one setting, but it's really no different than having rats eating all your chicken food and putting out traps or bait for them.

Quote:
old chickenlady what type of chicken is in ur pro pic??? i have one that looks just like it but idk what type it is
38464_ameracuauna.jpg

Don't feel bad about tossing it out in the woods or somewhere. Nothing is wasted in nature. Something will get a meal out of it. Might be bugs and worms but they gotta eat too.

Well for those of you who think it's bad I shot the thing for just eating cat food, sorry you feel that way, when theres one theres more and I'll surely do it again. We are preventing an attack in the future, rather it be our chickens or our cat (specially if she turns her nose up to food if she can smell the opussom). My chickens coop is secure, not the run, and the run and coop were both open when we found him hanging around on our porch. I live out in the country and it's not abnormal for someone to kill an opossum. I live very close to Oak Ridge (for those of you who don't know Oak Ridge its the place that made the atomic bombs also known as the Manhattan project. So I live 5 minutes from a "controlled area" where you can't even eat dear or fish without having them tested first) So our area is heavily populated with dear and those that feed on dear, such as coyotes, I heard in my area if you shoot a coyote and take it to the rangers they'll give 20 dollars to ya. So I don't feel bad about shooting the opussom, our area is booming with wildlife, because dear are so abundant that if they get hit by a car (happens frequently) other animals eat the body. My husband cooked the one he shot on our porch, cut it up into tiny pieces and fed it to the chickens, gross but we did it, all that was left was bones, certain organs, and the head and we burried all that (it wasn't a wasted shot). My question has been answer, and thank you to all those that gave great usable feed-back. Oh, almost forgot, for those who were afraid of the bullets being bad for the chickens, the shot went through him, so the bullet was on our porch and not in the opossum.

Last edited:
Quote:
Dont pay anyone any mind here fact of the matter is some of us are not animal activists and some are. Some have said that you should rehome snakes if you catch them I rehome them for sure expecially rattle snakes this guy was So lucky he got rehomed right to my freezer.
IMG00112-20100713-0938.jpg

Possums come in my yard I release the dogs on them same with coons skunks and coyotes. Before I rehomed a bobcat I saved. I caught a barn owl sleeping in the barn Quickly covered up the only window in the barn and threw the bobcat in the hay loft. I have no idea what ever came of the owl But precious came out of the barn untouched.
bobcat2.jpg

Far as I know theres no laws against a wild feral cat killing any birds of prey, raptors, Point is don't mind others who have different beliefs then you do. Its you who has to live your life and protect whats yours anyway you see fit. until recently If it moved I shot it. If it didn't cluck quack or honk I shot it. To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom