This is a REALLY GROSS question, but need an honest answer!!

Quote:
First of all, if you shoot a dear out in the wild how do you eat it without getting worms? think about that for a minute... my chickens are fine and aren't going to get worms by eating an opossum. If people for years have eaten squirrel, opossum, dear, boar, turtle, fish and didn't end up sick with worms then I think its fine... Besides if they got worms when I butcher them and eat them I'm not eating the stomach or intestines.

That's why we have learned to cook things to a certain temp. Even domesticated animals can have worms - lots of pigs have them. Ever see those small holes in a piece of ham? Those are tapeworm cysts. But, don't worry... they are dead now. Worms are not just in the stomach and intestines. They can be anywhere in the body - the eyes, brain, meat...

Last edited:
Quote:
First of all, if you shoot a dear out in the wild how do you eat it without getting worms? think about that for a minute... my chickens are fine and aren't going to get worms by eating an opossum. If people for years have eaten squirrel, opossum, dear, boar, turtle, fish and didn't end up sick with worms then I think its fine... Besides if they got worms when I butcher them and eat them I'm not eating the stomach or intestines.

gosh I was only saying. seriously though it's your chickens you can give them whatever, I was just saying that *I* wouldnt
sad.png

Quote:
Except that the vast majority of people I have ever encountered on a professional snake call *can't do it* and there are always going to be more dead Nerodia than Agkistrodon. Cold hard fact. Make of that what you will. Every single professional snake wrangler will tell you the same thing, most people misidentify them even when they are otherwise experienced outdoorsmen and absolutely sure of their ID.

Water snakes have broad flat heads, whereas water snakes have round heads.

Not true. Older male Nerodia have extremely broad, flat heads. Most younger and female Nerodia do have rounder heads, but it's the big dark colored ones you are more likely to mistake for cottonmouths.

The rest of the determinations are rather difficult to make at hoe's length. Nerodia mouths can be quite pale also depending on locality.

Your reaction is pretty universal. Every single person tells me that yes, they are SURE they can tell the difference, and they are quite insulted when I don't believe them. And when I get there to pick up their "cottonmouth" whether dead or alive, it's a Nerodia far more often than not. Maybe you're the exception to the rule, but I've seen too many rules and not very many exceptions over the years. Pardon my cynicism, but it was born over a decade of professional experience.​

Is your whole lifes intentions to prove others wrong? every snake I have killed on my yard had fangs. Every snake I kill I take live first. Unlike your typical people I dont need any method other then my hands to capture and kill a snake. If it doesnt milk out in my jar or have fangs or cat like Pupils I simply let it go back in my yard I have a 7 foot bull snake that happly lives Under my house. I dont kill grass snakes I dont kill non pit vipers of any sort. Water snakes get relocated to my pond. I am not some crazed snake killer I kill Only venom producing snakes you might know alot about the snake world but my dear friend your not the only experienced snake handler in this world. The average person does mis interpret the water snake for a viper but not this cowboy. I bet theres a snake forum somewhere for you to enjoy your beliefs on but this is a chicken thread and a predator and pest thread not a thread to dispute beliefs. 2 things that strike me in the forum rules of this thread are (*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.) and (*If you wish to suggest an alternate non lethal means of control, please share it in a non judgemental way that is a viable solution and not merely complaining about who was here first etc, IF it is directly related to the OP's request for assistance. If a non lethal alternative is offered, please be appreciative and remember that there are many ways and means and flaming a member for suggesting such an alternative will not be tolerated. So lets just get back on track here the post was about possums, not snakes Feel free to make another thread I had no intentions of this posters post to go 500 miles away from there original post. If you have any conserns or opinions feel free to PM me on the subject no need to go back and forth on other peoples posts. thank you and have a wonderful day.

Quote:

That's why we have learned to cook things to a certain temp. Even domesticated animals can have worms - lots of pigs have them. Ever see those small holes in a piece of ham? Those are tapeworm cysts. But, don't worry... they are dead now. Worms are not just in the stomach and intestines. They can be anywhere in the body - the eyes, brain, meat...

Dear God!! Did ya HAVE to tell me that about the ham!!!! Excuse me while i go puke...
I'll never look at my piggies the same again...
sickbyc.gif

Quote:

gosh I was only saying. seriously though it's your chickens you can give them whatever, I was just saying that *I* wouldnt
sad.png

I wouldnt either...
Not worth the risk to me.

I would bury it myself but it wouldn't hurt for the chickens to have it. Extra protein and save you on chicken feed. I wouldn't be bale to eat the eggs for a while myself but who knows. Like somebody said, I've heard possum is good eatin.

Quote:

Dear God!! Did ya HAVE to tell me that about the ham!!!! Excuse me while i go puke...
I'll never look at my piggies the same again...
sickbyc.gif

Haha I know I felt the same way about the ham!!!

Quote:
I didn't feed it to my hens, fed it to the roosters. BUT, I have already done it, they loved eating opossum.... and a certain annoying banty rooster... but thats another story.

Back
Top Bottom