This is a tough decision will you guys please help me???

rockabilly7

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Florida panhandle
I dont know if this is where I should post this if not im very sorry.
On friday i got 5 baby chicks from a local feed store 1 BR pullet, 1brown leghorn pullet, 1 new hampshire red pullet, and 2 bantams. I already have 4 hens and a roo that I adore and have realized I cannot keep all 5 of my new babies
sad.png
. Can someone please tell me which of these 5 will be the best layers. Also at the feed store the tag for the bantams said assorted bantams does this mean they can turn out to be anything??? can someoen please tell me what I should get rid of??? Im at my wits end and very depressed about it.
hit.gif

Quote:
I'm sorry you have to make this decision...
I can tell you that the bantams are probably not sexed, and could be anything. If you want eggs, keep any of the 3 larger hens. The BRs are good layers, as I'm sure the others are too.
hugs.gif

Yes the banty's could be anything, I personally don't keep bantams. Your BR,NHR,& leghorn are your best layers of what you have. You made a good choice with those three, the banty's have questionable value other than lap chicken's, but hey it's only one opinion LOL.

AL

Oh, I think you will be okay with your hens. Those first 3 will lay well for you.
The bantams are just for looks and lovin' because they just don't lay very big eggs but you can eat the eggs. I have bantams for good broody hens and yard candy.
I am not sure about the mixed part since I haven't ever bought from a store. But I am assuming it means they are different breeds of bantams.
Good luck! Sounds like a wonderful start to me!
frow.gif

Bantams are chickens too!!! I would keep them cuz you get more in less space! That is my $20 worth! In reality though...you have no idea what breed or sex they are...that is how feed stores sell them usually they just get hatchery choices and the little guys are to hard to sex...If you just want pure egg production go with the big ones
hit.gif

Thanks guys so much!!!! I will post pics soon i do not have a camera right now and im also at school (hehe)!!! But both my bantams are yellow chicks and the feathers on there wings are brown and white. One is very very small about the size of the peep marshmellows lol but i know that doesnt really help. It just breaks my heart to have to give them away they all sleep in my bedroom right next to bed in their brooder i adore them especially my BR and NHR and they all already have names i was goin to build a new coop and run but after thinking about it I dont think I have the room or money. but you guys have made my decision alot easier thanks so much again
roll.png

Agreed, I would keep the 3 standard fowl also and not the bantys.

So sorry to hear you have to make this choice. Hope it works out well for you.

I find my bantums eat less, take up less space, do butcher well and lay like crazy if I keep them from setting. They set, and make some of the best mothers you can get. Saves a fortune on bators if you only want a few chicks a year or don't want to brood your own.
My batnys are Partridge cochins, not all bantums are good layers, setters or mothers.

Back
Top Bottom