This is eggs-actly what I feared.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Linn Bee, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

There must be a place to put this. I can't be the only one who has done this.
    I have been collecting eggs since my first one on October 30. In the past 50 days I have gathered 25 dozen eggs from my 10 hens. Fifty days! 25 dozen eggs! It finally happened!

I went out late in the afternoon to feed some Rice-A-Roni type leftovers to my chickens. It was cold so I tossed on my jacket and zipped it up. I messed around with the litter. Gave a carrot snack to Rusty, the rabbit, hanging from the ceiling (In his cage, of course. That is where Rusty hangs out) I checked my bird's water and feed levels. I even scattered some scratch for them to snack on once they returned to roost.

Then I collected two eggs - still warm - from a nesting box. I put one egg in my left jacket pocket. I slid the other into my right jacket pocket. Meanwhile, all the chickens had come in the coop for a visit so I decided to lock the pop door for the night.

Then it happened! What I had always feared! What I had always tried to avoid! As I bent over to latch the door, I felt a light pressure against my side and heard a small "crunch". My first pocket-egg! Sigh! My jacket is in the washer as I type.

Where on this site do I go for registering my first broken egg-in-pocket event?
    1. Am I alone here or am I in good company?
    2. What's the record for shortest egg-in-pocket event?
    3. Who went longer than my 50 days?
    4. Who holds the record for going the longest without a pocket-egg?
    5. Who holds the record for the most?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Ha! You are definitely not alone!

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I've never had a pocket egg and I've been collecting eggs for one and a half years. [​IMG]

4. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

No I think you are the only one to ever do that [​IMG]

5. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I got my first pocket egg this summer!! [​IMG]

I was collecting eggs from the layers and put one in my pocket as I was grabbing the others. I placed most of them safely aside and went to feed the meat chickens in their tractor. As I bent over to dump their food in their bowl - crunch. I immediately grabbed it out of my jacket pocket and slopped it into their bowl. Good day for them, bad day for me!!!

I thought of that instance YESTERDAY when I went to check on the girls. I put an egg in my pocket and bent over again!! I thought for sure it was going to crunch, just as I was bending over.... but I was spared! [​IMG]

I'm glad you posted this. VERY funny!

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    this summer I was out exercising the dogs and throwing their tennis ball. I stopped by to check for eggs before I went in the house. I'm walking to the house, tennis ball in one hand, egg in the other.

You can guess how this story ends... I threw the egg instead of the ball [​IMG] It smacked into the side of the oak tree. The dogs thought this was the greatest game in the world - exploding food!

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I squished an egg in my winter coat pocket a couple years ago... Since then I've been really careful! [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    [​IMG] welcome to the dufus club! hahaha I did it last year with 2 in each pocket! actually-they were all bantam eggs and teh jacket was a big down coat-couldnt even feel they were in there..Came in house--put coat on back of chair...daughter spilled stuff on coat-into wash it went..thats all Im going to say! [​IMG]

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I did forget eggs in my coat pocket once. It was a jacket I usually only wear on weekends, so found them a week later. The dogs enjoyed them

10. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh, Precious! I am feeling much better now. At least I don't have to clean out my washing machine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by