This Is For Everyone Who Wants To Know The Gender Of Their Chicks!

Quote:
IF that theory is correct I really don't see the point in taking up incubator space hoping to kill off your unwanted cockeral chicks and end up with a poor hatch. I'd rather have a good hatch and sell off the cockerals a few weeks down the road and at least get something in return for my trouble.

To say that temps play a role in what sex of chicks you hatch is misleading (if the theory is true) to new people.....makes it sound like you're claiming that temps can magically change the sex of the chicks.....it wouldn't be changing anything.....only killing off one sex or the other so they don't hatch. Sounds like that would be a waste of chicks to me......and unless you open up every unhatched egg and sex the unhatched chicks there is no proof of anything.

In my area, it is impossible to GIVE away extra cockerel chicks. Most people don't want straight run, let alone cockerels. Once the cockerels are just about big enough to butcher my friend is willing to take them, and I'm thankful for this outlet. They are not feed efficient to raise for meat, and are a pain in the rear to layer hens and their sisters when they reach maturity. It is SO hard to give the males away in my area that after trying to find a home for some this spring I was forced to put them all down and feed them to the barn cats.
hide.gif
Obviously, I hated doing that, so if I can get 80% female hatches I'm happy.

Now if you can find a market for male chicks or make a profit raising extra cockerels to butchering age, then it doesn't make sense to try and raise the temperature. Then by all means, do the normal temperature!

I have mentioned several times that the temperature does not change the sex of the chick. The sex is decided before the egg is even laid. With higher temps you're just killing off some of the cockerels.

We have a poultry auction about 45 minutes from me that I take my excess roosters to. I suppose it probably makes a difference what type of birds you're raising. I don't know what kind of birds you've got, but I raise non-hatchery purebred birds so many of my cockerals I keep for quite some time so I know how they're going to turn out. Any with obvious flaws go to the auction very quickly.

I realize you've said the temps really don't determine the sex, but some people only skim and don't read everything and come away with the wrong idea about what exactly is happening.

Sorry, but I'd still rather not have those chicks be a total waste of space in my incubators.

Quote:
I do keep hatchery stock because I want high egg production. I sell farm fresh eggs and can't keep up with demand.

We have an auction an hour away that sells poultry once a month. A friend of mine says four month old dual-purpose (hatchery stock) roosters go for about $2 each, minus commission. That doesn't even pay for their feed, let alone labor and gas.

If people don't want to take an extra half minute to read through my posts then that's their problem. I purposely mentioned that item several times for that reason.
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you.
smile.png
I attribute a lot of it to my parent's decision to home school me, and all of the things that go with that decision.

Hold onto that wonderful spirit ! Pass it on to your children. Our country would benefit unbelievably by a whole generation like you! It's time to bring back good common sense and family values before it's too late.

GOOD FOR YOU !

Thank you very much.
smile.png

I feel blessed that I'm out living on a farm away from it all. I'm hoping I can find a good life mate. So far all the guys I meet either don't fit my basic guidelines I mentioned earlier, or they want to get a college degree and move to the city.
hmm.png
I want to stay here, live on a farm, have a good marriage, raise a family, grow our own food and be self reliant. That's my dream, and I won't be happy with anything less...

Hi!

1882 - 1883 "I never perfected an invention that I did not think about in terms of the service it might give others..." Thomas Edison
Keep up the research. Thomas Edison, one of the greatest inventors had plenty of critics and naysayers.
Wilbur and Orville Wright were probably thought to be crazy.
love.gif

Quote:
It does seem hard to be accused of misleading people because they -may- not read everything you have written. It's the author's fault I didn't follow the instructions!

We can eat the extra roosters, but they do cost a lot by the time they reach butchering age. It would be cheaper to buy chicken at the store.

If egg production is your focus and not meat or fancy feather or breed improvement, you could work with sex-links. You could cull the roosters by down color at hatch, or send them to someone who wants to raise them.

We will be trying Buckeye Rooster over non-SOP Delaware Hens this spring. In our case, it is a Meat Bird Cross 4-H project, and we are looking for the silver/white boy chicks. We will actually have to find a place to send the red pullet chicks, which should be fairly good layers if they take after their mothers.

Quote:
Thank you for the encouragement.
smile.png
That is very true!

Like I've said, I could very well be wrong. But who knows, I may be on to something! What have I got to lose by raising the temp? Other than extra roos, LOL!
wink.png

Quote:
I agree, it's not cost efficient to raise your own chickens for meat, even Cornish Xs. But the quality's much better! I would be interested in raising some of my rooster chicks for meat (and probably will keep a few), but my 50 original hens are getting old and not laying as well, and so will be ready for the stew pot next year. That's a lot of chicken and dumplings!
th.gif

Yep, I am planning to do sex-links!!!
wink.png
Tadkerson's sticky and RAREROO have been SO helpful! This coming spring I'm planning to hatch some RIR x BR & SLW sex-links for layers, plus hatch some purebred Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Buff Orpingtons for making my sex-links in 2012. I'm also going to buy some White Rock pullets for sex-links too. My primary goal is excellent layers, and also acceptable meat birds, because I believe a day is coming when food prices are going to skyrocket.

Buckeye x Delaware sounds like a great meat bird cross! The pullets should be acceptable layers too! To bad you're not closer, LOL!
wink.png

Quote:
You know, people think I am crazy. They just don't realize what a genius I am yet
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Cowgirl, I wish I had half the sense you do at such a young age. Best of luck to you with all you are doing, your head is in the right place.

Quote:
And the Original Post was......... way to hijack, ya'll!
wink.png
big_smile.png

Just read the original post...guess what? This procedure led to 2 roo's having to go to the farm and a heartbroken little girl. I dont think you can tell (without being invasive or having Sex-links) the sex until the chicken 1. crows, or 2. lays an egg

Back
Top Bottom