This Is For Everyone Who Wants To Know The Gender Of Their Chicks!

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken (which is about 50/50), being able to tell via the wings is a form of sex-linked offspring; and thus, will not work on their own offspring...

Anyone else know?

Quote:
Hold them by the legs, less risk. We tried it before, from my memory it did work pretty accurately. But we may have just been lucky?

Quote:
I mean no offence; but my personal experience says otherwise. At TWO WEEKS OLD a few of my males (one in particular) have tried "spuring" me. It's kinda hilarious, lol... I'd pick up a chick, it would cry, and a baby roo would come running over and attack. I repeat; AT TWO WEEKS OLD. These are hatchery "Delawares" from Meyers.

I have a young silver duckwing OEGB pullet, she is about 5-6 months old I think.. She will attack you with no problem, fine once you get her in the hand but if you get your hand in her "face" or your foot.. Or anything else, she's not against smacking it.. Again.. And again.. Kinda funny really, she's the smallest thing on the yard.

Quote:
Not true for everyone!
big_smile.png
Ours free-range; as such, cost very little. I'm using grower/chick feed for their first couple of months; but even that will eventually not be happening.

Happy plucking!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I mean no offence; but my personal experience says otherwise. At TWO WEEKS OLD a few of my males (one in particular) have tried "spuring" me. It's kinda hilarious, lol... I'd pick up a chick, it would cry, and a baby roo would come running over and attack. I repeat; AT TWO WEEKS OLD. These are hatchery "Delawares" from Meyers.

Honestly, I have had that happen too at a very young age. Turned out to be a feisty pullet. LOL.
Some of my hens are wicked lil things!

I have never tired this before, but every year at TSC people go through the ''straight-run'' bin, picking up all theses poor struggling chicks by their head. I can't imagine it works, because the straight-run bin is around 80% cockerals, and these people managed to collect a nice bunch of "hens''.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom