This is for our cat but not sure where else to post.

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Ok, well we have an older cat. probably 12 or 13. She was a stray so time frame is a bit loose. This rash, infection, injury??? developed the last 2 days. The vet closed before we came home and found her looking this bad. Anyone have any idea? She has also rubbed most of the skin off her face. She has never had any health issues. She still eats and is active. She is just now in pain and her face looks awful. I have posted some pics. The only issue she has ever had with her mouth is she came to us with almost like a cleft lower lip. It never caused any issues.In time a little bump has formed there. Never showed that it caused an issue and the vet felt it was nothing. Right now its roughly 8mm ( compared it to pearl earrings so not terribly accurate). Any clues what we can do for this gal till the vet opens on monday would be helpful. Thanks.

So time frame is yesterday it looked like she had a little scratch which we treated. We come home and this was her face.

Not sure if you can tell but it looks like there is some blood coming out of the other eye. And one eye is swelling shut. Any clue at all? Seriously it looked like a little scratch or welt yesterday. We thought she had maybe got too frisky with the other cat.

Looking at it, it looks like a rash. Listening to your story, it sounds like an infection. Does it feel warmer than the rest of her to touch?
If it's really warm, it's likely an infection. If it's not warm, it's not as bad an infection or even a rash.
Does she scratch at it?

You could soak clean cloths and put them in the freezer damp, then put them on her face tonight, and get her to the vet first thing in the morning. If the red area gets really hot & she stops wanting to eat or drink, then if you have an emergency animal clinic, you may want to go there tonight. She has to stay hydrated & strong to fight an infection.

I wish I could help your kitty
hugs.gif

Hope someone else will chime in now.

Is it possible she got in contact with some chemicals? Could it be a chemical burn? Or might she have put her face near a hot engine or other heat source?

I would put a cone collar on her to keep her from rubbing it and making it worse. But ugh, is there an after hours vet in your area? Might be worth it, especially if it's chemicals. I worry with her eye swelling shut like that.

If it's an infection, she needs antibiotics fast, because it clearly is spreading rapidly.

Sorry kitty
sad.png

Ok, well its hot and hard. Really hard. Our vet does not open up till Monday. So I might have to help her limp along till Monday. Our other cat had a couple antibiotic pills left over from a paw injury that I can give her. They are practically twins. Same age and roughly same weight? She is still eating and drinking.

Hot and hard could be a fast growing abscess. If so she'll need it drained at the Vet and some heavy duty antibiotics. Poor kitty, it looks awfully sore
sad.png

Honestly I would call your vet and see if they have an after-hours numbers for emergencies. This does not look like something that should wait until Monday, especially with a geriatric cat. It sounds and looks like it certainly could be an abscess. It could have been caused by getting into a tiff with the other cat, and it could be that at her age her immune system isn't able to cope with the bacteria as well as when she was younger. It could also be a tooth root abscess, especially since the swelling involves the eye, which may require an extraction to resolve (or long-term, probably the rest of her life, antibiotics if surgery is not an option due to her health). For now, the best thing you can do is apply a warm compress to the area (preferably over the wound to soften the scab and give the pus a place to come out) for about 15 minutes twice daily.

The other thought, since it seems that the swelling and abrasion of skin has happened within the past few hours, is that it could be an allergic reaction. You can give her liquid children's benadryl about 1/2 ml per pound (assuming it's the 12.5mg/5ml strength like what I have here) just in case it is an allergic reaction.

As someone else mentioned, is there any possibility that she could have gotten into a hot area (such as an engine compartment) or chemicals? Burns will also look very much like that.

One last thing I would like to mention is the slight possibility of a tumor. It is extremely uncommon, but oral tumors or tumors in the nasal passages can cause facial swelling that involves the eyes. Usually these are really bad tumors, but the few I've seen in 8 years of working at a vet clinic didn't look anything like the pictures you've posted. Just wanted to throw it out there as a very unlikely possibility, especially given her age.

Last edited:
I have not ruled out tumor, simply because she does have the growth and it has gotten bigger. Again it was passed off as nothing so we have semi ignored it but that was our first thought. She is a strictly indoor cat so I cannot imagine where she could have gotten where she could have been burned. I do not much of the skin is rubbed off. She has been rubbing and scrapping at it for hours. The only way to stop her is to hold her and wow does she have a temper. You go to the bathroom and come back to hold her though and she is bloody again.

I did give her the antibiotic. She is asleep right now. I think I may give her benadryl in the morning. Our vet does have emergency afterhours but the extra fees are way beyond what I can afford so add that to treatment........ they have a beautiful new building but my farm vet is way out of my price range now for a lot of things. If it gets much worse we do know another farm vet that I trust an hour or so away. We have lots of what I call city vets around her but honestly I have no trust after the few times we have gotten desperate and used them. I hope we don't get that desperate again.

OK, I am thinking the others are right and its an abscess. Warm compresses can help soften the skin and maybe it will drain. It is just a hunch but maybe she is rubbing at it to try to relieve the pressure, or perhaps it itches the way infections can.

If it keeps swelling, there probably are instructions on draining an abscess on the internet. You need a new needle from a hypodermic, because it will be clean and sharp. Basically, you just poke a hole for the pus to drain out. But that's all I will say because I don't want to overstep my knowledge.

What does the inside of her mouth look like? Someone else suggested that the real source of infection could be in her tooth. That's worth checking her out.

I hear you on the vet bills. Do what you can to keep her comfortable. If she is otherwise energetic and eating, I think she will make it to Monday. But it would be good to have those phone numbers on hand in case she starts declining fast tomorrow.

But do try the compresses.

And also, try a cat lovers' forum. I think this is all good advice, but someone there might know what it means when she rubs like that.

Good luck with your kitty.

well not sure if this will help but a stray little boy cat found us one day this summer and he had terrible ear mites,blood in his ears his eyes were all infected and draining with blood in them and his nose running sneezing.Took him to the vet and she treated the mites and gave me antibiotic eye drops.As the ear became better I used some type of oil and cleaned them alot,his face cleared up as well as his ears.His face looked alot like your cats face.He itched his ears and shook his head alot

That does look like one mean abcess. It could have started inside her mouth, but what worries me is that it's causing so much pressure to her eye. Definitely put a warm compress on that and I'd up the antibiotics. If you can swing the vet on Monday then I'd get her in. I don't know if I'd poke and prod on her too much. You don't want that nasty infection bursting inwards instead of outwards. Poor baby!!

Back
Top Bottom