This is going to turn out badly, isn't it? [Egg hatching]

There shouldn't be water near the heat lamp. The heat will create a great climate for bacteria, so you should place both away from the lamp.
Make sure they know how to use it - maybe you can get them to do it by showing it with your finger.
Depending on what you feed them, oyster shell isn't necessary either. A crumbled game bird starter feed has everything they need and it's water soluble so they don't need grit - the oyster shell can actually cause more harm than good, as it could give them too much calcium. So I wouldn't use that.
It can be hard to tell if the temp is right when you only have 3 (it's much better to observe what the chicks do than to look at a thermometer), but if you can move the lamp so close that you can tell they are definitely moving away from it, you have a pretty good idea where it needs to be - just a little bit further away. If they are peeping a lot, they are probably too cold.
Hopefully the 3rd chick will be okay as well :)

Thank you for replying! I'll be changing the paper towel they're on soon, so I'll hold back on the oyster shell. I'll also go and move their water. They haven't been peeping much, just a few here and there from the newer hatched ones -- I have 10 babies now. Woke up this morning to see 7 little babies popping around inside the incubator.

The third baby from last night appears to be doing better, it's moving around more and tumbling less.

I've had a chick explosion! Ten babies hatched out yesterday, 7 early in the morning and the remaining 3 later at night. So now there's 13 in total. I kind of spooked them all into a corner (oops) and just spread more feed out (that was mixed with crushed oyster shell, forgot to process just the feed, again oops). But they appear to be doing okay.

One baby in particular had its legs spread so far apart, I was worried it wouldn't fix itself... but it did, thankfully. Can't even tell which one it was anymore. Taking the paper towel out helped a lot.

I still have several eggs in my incubator, that are now 1-2 days past hatch date. When is a safe time to start cracking them open?

9dd80f9d5ea52579cb3040c3970e7275.jpg

I've had a chick explosion! Ten babies hatched out yesterday, 7 early in the morning and the remaining 3 later at night. So now there's 13 in total. I kind of spooked them all into a corner (oops) and just spread more feed out (that was mixed with crushed oyster shell, forgot to process just the feed, again oops). But they appear to be doing okay.

One baby in particular had its legs spread so far apart, I was worried it wouldn't fix itself... but it did, thankfully. Can't even tell which one it was anymore. Taking the paper towel out helped a lot.

I still have several eggs in my incubator, that are now 1-2 days past hatch date. When is a safe time to start cracking them open?

9dd80f9d5ea52579cb3040c3970e7275.jpg
Why are spending feed on the ground? Why not put it in a flat pickle jar lid or a plastic container lid. They are just going to be pooping all over their feed.:sick

I read that the feed should be scattered around, so that everywhere they go, there's food available. I'll be cleaning it completely every morning, but you have a point. They tend to stick to one area, I guess I can put their food in a lid...

Before the eggs began to hatch, I candled them, and couldn't see much inside. They were either too dark or had nothing at all. I could try again, though. Maybe I'll see something this time that I didn't before.

I kept my temp around 100-101°F on top of the eggs...

But now today is days 2-3 past hatch date, and yesterday when I candled the eggs again, I tossed out 9 that were empty (not fertilized I guess) and kept the rest, even though I know some were definitely dead. There were two (maybe three?) that I saw movement in, but they haven't hatched yet. Should I wait or should I try and assist?

I kept my temp around 100-101°F on top of the eggs...

But now today is days 2-3 past hatch date, and yesterday when I candled the eggs again, I tossed out 9 that were empty (not fertilized I guess) and kept the rest, even though I know some were definitely dead. There were two (maybe three?) that I saw movement in, but they haven't hatched yet. Should I wait or should I try and assist?
You should not assist if they haven't PIPPED.

Okay, I won't touch them. But what happens if they don't end up pipping (besides death, I mean. Anything I can do)?
EDIT:

I just checked on them again, and two have begun pipping. One much farther along than the other, I can see its little beak. I'm concerned about a tiny bit of blood hanging on the edge of the cracked shell, though... it looks like the baby burst its own membrane while there were still nerves on it? Should this happen? Its moving its beak but is otherwise not trying to push right now.

The second one hasn't moved at all during the time I inspected it (quickly, might I add), so I hope it's still alive...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom